3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everybody. I have a quck question. I have a 1999 Grand Prix gt with a custom cold air box setup. So here's my question. When you turn your car off, does your intake make a final "sucking noise" just after your engine has been turned off? The second i turn the car off, the intake takes a final "breath" and then goes silent. I figure it is because the engine is still turning over a little bit, but im wondering if anyone else has encountered this or if it is not normal. Let me know, thanks. peace.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your engine is under vacuum. When you shut the car off, the vacuum built up escapes through the intake to equalize with the outside air. That makes a sucking noise you hear ;)

Mat

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the same noise. For those with boost guages you can see your manifold is in vacuum under idle so if your car is shut off while idling (obviously most if not all of the time) then air is pushed into your intake by atmospheric pressure. This is what makes the 'whoosh' sounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the posts everyone. There is really nobody around me in town with a "modified" (not like mine is heavily modded, lol) Grand Prix for me to talk to, so this forum is awsome and helps alot. Thanks again. Peace.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got my WizAired installed last night and was gonna ask the same question!

Glad this board exists!

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
I notice that the boosted W-bodies have that noise, but very light compared to the NA version. Especially the extremely modded NA. [;)]

·
Registered
713 Posts
Greg Kaplan said:
There is really nobody around me in town with a "modified" (not like mine is heavily modded, lol) Grand Prix for me to talk to, so this forum is awsome and helps alot.
i see you are from chicago, come check out www.ilgpc.com , there are tons of members around you that would be able to help out whenever ya need it. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts