3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GT and used to be able to race a friend of mine and stay right next to him everytime. Now I removed my balance shaft, rebuild my tranny and took the intake runners and cut them in half hoping to get better top end HP but not loose much torque ( I find ZZPs unit too short and they recomend raising shift points to see any gains ).

Anyways, now my friend beats the **** out of me...he can pull about 6 cars on me. How can this be? Could the intake runner mod have affected me this much? Or can the balance shaft have anything to do with it?

Thanks and great site Scott. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Runners are there to force the air to the appropriate locations, if you cut them in 1/2 you get no gains or worst yet you get restrictions (thus losing power).

HVIM from ZZP has been getting a lot of mix reviews, some get good gains while others lose power. Its all the key in modding in finding what works.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured that I guess...I'm gonna have to buy a factory intake manifold to fix what I broke...ouch.

Thanks

·
Banned
203 Posts
I was running into the same issues. Lost .5 off my time :eek: . Put the stock runners in and I'll be looking for something else to modify on the car.

Anyone want an HVIM? $100 and it's yours :).

·
Registered
168 Posts
ok now why would you take your balance shaft out??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes i'm curious as to why you took out your balance shaft?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rogue said:
Less rotating mass in the motor. An attempt to gain a few HP at the expense of possibly having some motor vibration.
Exactly...only that there are no vibrations...looks like our motors are pretty well balanced stock.

I was running into the same issues. Lost .5 off my time . Put the stock runners in and I'll be looking for something else to modify on the car.
WOW..you lost .5 with the HVII? Damn. :eek:

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
GT-ER said:
Exactly...only that there are no vibrations...looks like our motors are pretty well balanced stock.
It depends on the bodystyle. I have mine disconnected in my SSEi and I have a slight vibration at 1500rpm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rogue said:
It depends on the bodystyle. I have mine disconnected in my SSEi and I have a slight vibration at 1500rpm.
I think it mostly depends on luck...not all engines are equal and I have ZERO vibrations...I'm happy. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Buck531 said:
I was running into the same issues. Lost .5 off my time :eek: . Put the stock runners in and I'll be looking for something else to modify on the car.

Anyone want an HVIM? $100 and it's yours :).
Thats the same thing that happend to me. I'll be pulling my HVII this week and $100/125 seems about right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Before the HVII I ran a 14.78, and I have since installed the HVII, DHP and S1TB. I haven't been to the track yet, but I will be at MGM Oct. 16th. So I'll let you know how I run.
When I put the HVII in, it feels as though I have a lot more power with minimal lowend loss. However, that is what other people have said, and still lost (worse ET) time. So I dunno. If I run slower at MGM, I'll be taking mine out too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GT-ER said:
Yeah I figured that I guess...I'm gonna have to buy a factory intake manifold to fix what I broke...ouch.

Thanks
I sold my old intake runners to a clubgp member for like $20 I think. I didn't/don't have a clue what they are/were worth, but I just wanted to rid of them. Ask around in the classifieds, see if someone who has installed an HVII has theirs yet. I didn't have a need for them anymore just due to the fact that my GT no longer exists. Just junk layin' around, I guess! :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BFT! said:
Get at me. I've some runners that I'll let you have for ten bucks.
Damn, I just bought an entire intake w/ runners. It only cost me $35 though so I guess that's not so bad. ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
I keep hearing of people getting slower as well. I might have to try racing without it and see what my results are. This was one of my first mods, and it did make me faster, but that also might have been the ported manifold as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
people that have run slower...

do you have rockers or a cam? Your really supposed to have those on to get the full effect. I personally do not have rockers or a cam YET. however i do plan on installing some rockers this weekend. I felt no low end loss and really havent cranked it out yet because im having a cooling issue.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Yes, I do have a cam. I ran .5 slower when I had the HVIM in as apposed to the stock runners. Put the stock runners back in.. different day/track. Rana 14.6 with more heat (85*). \

What I'm noticing lately , is that the more open exhaust you have, the more it hurts. I've seen some CGP members with a stock exhaust, pull some great times. Stock DP, stock everything.

I have a 3" dp, 2.5" cat back.. with a cutout where the cat used to be. I forgot to close the cutout when at the track with hte hvim, so I don't know.

Strange.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a mix review on the HVIM. I gain maybe .05~.1 after putting on the HVIM when I was in Rockered mode (plus 180tstat, $5 fan switch, SR rockers, u-bend/resonator deleted, 2.5" exhaust, wp pulley, dhp, stage 1 TB). Not really impressive of a gain, however before the HVIM, I had 7* of KR at WOT, when I put the HVIM ZERO KR and more air flow numbers. Very strange I must say to have one mod remove all the KR on my machine.

I kinda wondered what would have had happen if I removed the HVIM on the GT to see if I would have pulled better when I went cam, but I kept it still.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Buck531 said:
Yes, I do have a cam. I ran .5 slower when I had the HVIM in as apposed to the stock runners. Put the stock runners back in.. different day/track. Rana 14.6 with more heat (85*). \

What I'm noticing lately , is that the more open exhaust you have, the more it hurts. I've seen some CGP members with a stock exhaust, pull some great times. Stock DP, stock everything.

I have a 3" dp, 2.5" cat back.. with a cutout where the cat used to be. I forgot to close the cutout when at the track with hte hvim, so I don't know.

Strange.
I had a feeling that this was the problem! Right before I added the HVII I opened up my exhaust. I figured afterwards that I should have left it stock! The more I look at things; the more I'm thinking stroker kit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts