3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what causes the intake noise that you hear on an L36 w/ a CAI on startup? I would like to know if there is a way to get rid of it. The noise goes away as the car warms up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think its just air needing to be inhaled at first. Once the oil starts to circulate its not as loud, thats why it settles down after a little bit. Wait intill the winter and the engine has to warm up longer.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
It's the Idle Air Control bypassing. As the car warms up, it stops bypassing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Twister97 said:
I think its just air needing to be inhaled at first. Once the oil starts to circulate its not as loud, thats why it settles down after a little bit. Wait intill the winter and the engine has to warm up longer.
Thats gotta be the wierdest answer I have ever heard.

BTW it IS the IAC valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, Im happy to make your day spd98. Its one thing to give an answer directly from the book and be all technical about it and another to keep it in lamest terms. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
IAC. It gets worse in the winter time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol, I am not surprised you read it 5 times. You were probably like WTF?? The whole 5 times :D Bet you cant find that on a google search like IAC defenitions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 1999 GT with a custom made cold air box. I have also noticed that when i start the car, the "sucking" sound from the intake is REALLY loud, but then goes away when it warms up. But, i have a question for all you other GT owners...... When you turn the car off, does your intake make a final "sucking noise" just after your engine has been turned off? I figure it is because the engine is still turning over a little bit, but im wondering if anyone else has encountered this. Let me know, thanks. peace.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Greg Kaplan said:
I have a 1999 GT with a custom made cold air box. I have also noticed that when i start the car, the "sucking" sound from the intake is REALLY loud, but then goes away when it warms up. But, i have a question for all you other GT owners...... When you turn the car off, does your intake make a final "sucking noise" just after your engine has been turned off? I figure it is because the engine is still turning over a little bit, but im wondering if anyone else has encountered this. Let me know, thanks. peace.
i have a GT and it does that exact same thing, however after i did my cam it does seem as noticiable for some reason

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love the sound, it makes peoples head turn. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
smellbird said:
I love the sound, it makes peoples head turn. :D
I agree! When I start the car, people are like WTF? You can hear it half way across the parking lot at work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine does this as well. people always look at my car funny when it does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Greg,
I have the same thing. The loud air on warm up is annoying and the big gulp of air at turn off is ok but worrisome. It looks as though it's not a problem. I thought it was my Wizaired CAI. I'm tearing it out in another week and replacing it with a Speedbuilt FWI. Do you know if I will get the same air sound at start up with the FWI? Also, I've noticed a hesitation when I abruptly step on it. No problem with gradual acceleration. I thought the cause was the CAI. Still trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Greg Kaplan said:
Yep, I get the same thing w/ my bonne, that last little hiss.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
That "sucking sound" when cold is the idle air controller bypassing. As the engine warms up, the IAC stops bypassing, and the noise goes away.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Greg Kaplan said:
But, i have a question for all you other GT owners...... When you turn the car off, does your intake make a final "sucking noise" just after your engine has been turned off? I figure it is because the engine is still turning over a little bit, but im wondering if anyone else has encountered this. Let me know, thanks. peace.

Your car runs in vaccum. When you shut it off, it's not in vaccum anymore, and that's the sound of the cylinders evening-out with atmospheric pressure.

Every car does that.. not just grand prix gt's - even if you think you're special. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
seoul_roller said:
Greg,
I have the same thing. The loud air on warm up is annoying and the big gulp of air at turn off is ok but worrisome. It looks as though it's not a problem. I thought it was my Wizaired CAI. I'm tearing it out in another week and replacing it with a Speedbuilt FWI. Do you know if I will get the same air sound at start up with the FWI? Also, I've noticed a hesitation when I abruptly step on it. No problem with gradual acceleration. I thought the cause was the CAI. Still trying to figure it out.
My FWI did it....so I am assuming yours will too. Watch for puddles!!!!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
My car does that when i start it up. Before i installed my headers, it was really noticable. It does that until it idles down to 1,000 rpm's. When i turn it off, it does make that final sucking sound. It puzzles people everytime i shut the car off. In the winter, it's even louder. But on the plus side, the winter air really fuels the car. It sounds bad ass when you get on it. A definite gain in HP from this bitter cold ohio winter. I personally like the sound, especially when i used to work 1st shift. I've had neighbors tell me that they were woke up with it, great stuff.

jason

1 - 20 of 23 Posts