3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the mounts and dog bones today. What a difference in shift firmness and putting power to the ground. I recommend this as an excellent first mod for this car.

Going to be installing lower motor mounts also. What mounts do you guys think I should go with? How hard of a job are they?

Cheers,
BH

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Lower as in under the engine mounts? We dont have very many choices in that dept. Stock or the ones from Napa.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
I agree, the upper motor mounts make a big difference in the shifts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
not a very hard job at all...disconnect 2 15 mm bolts underneath, 2 on top of the mounts, lift the motor up and swap. more or less ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
2HiPsi said:
not a very hard job at all...disconnect 2 15 mm bolts underneath, 2 on top of the mounts, lift the motor up and swap. more or less ;)
LOL Yeah, not too bad of a job... as long as you have the right tools. A cherry picker helps out A LOT! You will need to lift the engine a good 2"-3" to get the mounts out. An alternative if you don't have means to lift the engine is to drop the cradle 2"-3", but that's more time consuming.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just by changing my uppers to the Gen 2's a few weeks back my Knock dropped from 13* down too 6*, obviously my motor was moving way too much and hitting something and producing false knock. Either way I'll never go back to the regular ones again. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
JasonGS said:
LOL Yeah, not too bad of a job... as long as you have the right tools. A cherry picker helps out A LOT! You will need to lift the engine a good 2"-3" to get the mounts out. An alternative if you don't have means to lift the engine is to drop the cradle 2"-3", but that's more time consuming.
Or you could do it the really easy way everyone else uses and just put a block of wood under the oil pan and jack the engine that way. :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also installed the ZZP genII poly MM's last weekend and there is definately vibration in the cabin. Nothing crazy though, just vibration on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Raise your idle speed by 50 or 75 rpm... the vibration goes away.

I have the same ones, and they vibrate when the engine drops to 700-750 rpm... if I raise it to 800 or just above, the vibration goes away.

Also, if you're cheap, and don't want to program your PCM, you can just put it in Neutral everytime you get to a stop light.

It's a nice feeling starting the car too! The car has a nice rumble when it fires up... :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed INTENSE square and cylinder bushings yesterday, and there's a lot more vibration than the Cheetah square mounts they replaced. After a 100+ miles it's a little better. Hopefully in a few more weeks it'll be bearable. I'm going to try some dumdum behind some dash pieces to help the rattling. And if I ever get my PCM done, I'll raise the idle a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts