3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on the L67 motor is a huge pain, and when i installed my spark plugs and ignition wires it took me about 6 hours bc i had never worked on an engine that was up against the firewall like that. Getting headers installed would be an even bigger pain, i was wondering how much it would cost to put headers and a new downpipe onto the L67 motor when sending the car to a reliable mechanic.

·
Registered
174 Posts
SCGrandprix said:
Working on the L67 motor is a huge pain, and when i installed my spark plugs and ignition wires it took me about 6 hours bc i had never worked on an engine that was up against the firewall like that. Getting headers installed would be an even bigger pain, i was wondering how much it would cost to put headers and a new downpipe onto the L67 motor when sending the car to a reliable mechanic.

dont, theres enough people in atlanta to help you, buy some beer and burgers etc etc and you will have paid them enough right ther

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Exactly! find friends that can help and know what they are doing. Did you remove the dog bones and rock the engine foward? If not, that will give you lots more clearence to do change spark plugs and install headers. Oh after you do the headers you will marvell at how easy it is to do plugs then. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
i don't know the name of it, but there is a device out there that you could pull the engine foward with. It attaches to the dog bones and then crank it and it pulls the engine forward ;) makes it very easy for headers and plugs. Hopefully the person who helped with mine will chime in for the name of the device and where he got it :)

nick

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
People i have seen call it a winch. :D

I just pull my engine foward if I need to. It just takes some muscle!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
gt4me said:
nah, brad has it, its pretty sweet.
besides, merc you don't have any muscles
Hey now! i can still rock my engine foward, as long as its not on an incline :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
6 Hours? :eek:

Took me 5 minutes for the Fronts and 30 For the Rear. You think these are bad.. Should try some LT1 F-Body Plug Swaps :mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey first time changing sparks on that kind of v6 ive done it on I4s and my dads boss mustang, ya when i realized i didnt have any room i rocked the engine forward and then had to pretty much lay on top of the engine and get the spark plugs in. Ya i could probably get a couple of my buddies to help me out with the headers, my friend did the header on his 94 gsr integra, now hes got a car thats a year younger than i am 1987 rx7 turbo2

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
Try doing it on a Bonneville were the engine doesnt rock forward :)

Took me 4 hours or so the first time, but now the engine is modded enough (headers, no brackets in the back, etc...) that it can be done in about 20 minutes. The backs can be done by feel once you get used to it. The hardest part was pulling off the stock wires.

I usually pull the wire then slip the socket over the plug. Then I put the ratchet down and put it in the socket. Makes manuvering easier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
gt4me said:
nah, brad has it, its pretty sweet.
besides, merc you don't have any muscles
OHHH giving away my secrets!!!

I call it an "engine tilter" lol...It's actually meant for W-bodies...my buddy works at an auto parts store called "King Automotive" in North Olmsted, OH. He was bored one day, looking through catalogs, found it, I felt that I had $30 to waste and it turned out to be an awesome investment.

It replaces one of the dogbone mounts, doesn't matter which side as long as you unhook the other one, then you thread a 15 mm nut farther onto a bolt and it pulls the motor forward. Just to give you an idea of how effective this is...I was able to pull my rear TOG header out through the engine bay with the entire R/T downpipe and cat still welded to it...hehe :cool: :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone heard of a parking brake?? Take off the dogbones, rock the engine forward, have someone inside the car lock up the parking brake as you rock the engine and car forward while in park...easy stuff...cya

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.