3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey to all, looking for guidance on building a drivers side cv axle. I swapped a Series II L67 w/4t65e-hd into 90's "E" platform and would like to reuse the original outer cv ends native to the vehicle. I have successfully built a passenger cv so far using a mix match between donor and original... Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!:8

·
Registered
956 Posts
Guess I've never heard of any one who has done that. My first thought was to buy a HARD piece of steel tubing to slide over the existing CV shaft. Cut the CV shaft in halve and then re assemble the shafts into the Hard tube. Then weld up ends of tube to axel shaft(s). OR, find a drive line shop that builds CV axles and ask if they can build one from your dimensions. Jake

Here in Saint Paul Minn, we have a few drive line branches called CLUTCH & U JOINT and they build custom drive line components.... If worse come to worst, call them and see what they can do......

One other thing to consider is, if you try this, the assembly will need to be BALANCED. Those are the options I see right now.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your interest Jake, I have considered fabricating a cv out of halves but decided to first "attempt" to find a magical shaft that would accept the larger diameter spline at the inner bearing (trans side), while still using the original outer end with the bearings swapped over from the donor. I have seen only a couple of these builds on L67swap.com but site has since went belly up. I will post my solution when/if I find one, and eventually my entire build as I have been "sort of" documenting as I go. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
axles

Ok, I'm confused - e-bodies came with the 3.8 and 4T60, according to Wikipedia.
What needs to be changed? is it a mismatch between inner and outer splines?
Or have you found a solution already?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts