3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an exhaust manifold sold on the aftermarket called a Powerlog. It reportedly flows much better than the stock rear exhaust manifold so I tried to install one on my series II engine The problem is that the "powerlog" locates extremely close to the A/C compressor. There was like less than 1/4" clearance there. I decided not to use it because high temperatures so close may slightly impede compressor efficiency but more concerning is the shortening of the compressor life. I sure wish that someone would make a shorty high efficiency header or manifold that clears the compressor like the stock unit. Comments?

·
Registered
997 Posts
You know, it would be soooo much nicer and more efficient if you just went with a good set of headers and a down pipe to match that. Jake

PS, I put a set on my GTP with zero issues...... but one does have to adapt the exhaust pipe to the header down pipe. Pretty sure ZZ would have all this stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had both front and rear powerlog on my 02 Regal GS and after about 6 months the rear cracked and went with ZZP full headers and sold the front powerlog and DP...its not cheap about $800...and very time consuming to install..if you are planning on any future mods full headers from ZZP will handle anything...as far as the AC compressor it is a tight fit as well as the fan shroud..and transmission dipstick has to be reshaped..Have them on about 2 years and use my AC every summer here in South Carolina and have never had it serviced just recharged once...you will be fine..happy modding

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is an exhaust manifold sold on the aftermarket called a Powerlog. It reportedly flows much better than the stock rear exhaust manifold so I tried to install one on my series II engine The problem is that the "powerlog" locates extremely close to the A/C compressor. There was like less than 1/4" clearance there. I decided not to use it because high temperatures so close may slightly impede compressor efficiency but more concerning is the shortening of the compressor life. I sure wish that someone would make a shorty high efficiency header or manifold that clears the compressor like the stock unit. Comments?
Could always get the powerlog ceramic coated to help contain the heat.

·
Registered
215 Posts
They have a few different setups here....

https://zzperformance.com/collections/3800/Exhaust#productOutput

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is little room between the A/C Compressor and the Powerlog manifold. I doubt if wrapping it will do much good. IMO, the powerlog is a very poor design, It may improve exhaust flow but being almost right on the A/C compressor the compressor life will be drastically shortened. I have no idea why the designer didn't use the stock exhaust manifold pattern for the powerlog. Yes we could put on headers but that would require a whole new exhaust system.

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you were to install headers, they would also have connecting parts to the oem exhaust..... Pretty sure ZZP would have this stuff..... Jake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts