3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i'm going to be getting heads sooner than later and this means that i'll get my first look at the pistons in the block. to be frank this scares me. I've bent a few plugs over the last 105K on the motor and am horrified that i may see some missing pces of pistons when the heads come off.
what are your thoughts on piston replacements.
further seeing as i know little on the proceedure what is all needed to replace pistons?

thank you

Jason

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
You have to pull the pan and the heads to change pistons. You will also need to at least hone the cylinder to allow the rings to seat.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If you've never done it before get some help. Buy a engine service manual for a start as this will be needed for the smallest of questions. Setting ring postions and end gaps, torque settings etc are just a small amount of info you will need. Along with some special tools to carry out the procedure. Also as to what pistons it depends on what your after. :)

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy all,

If you decide to, or are forced to replace pistons due to failure, several things become mandatory.
First, a bore job will be necessary to accomodate new oversized pistons. if you want to use std. bore pistons, you must have cylinder barrells measured in order to determine whether this is feasible. Aftermarket forged pistons require
different clearances than stockers, and your machine shop
can determine whether they can hone std. cylinder barrells to size, or recommend an oversized piston. Simply deglazing cylinders and installing pistons is unwise, and will net an engine that will NOT produce max. power.

BIG JEFF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts