3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well, I'm in quite the situation. I was putting my belt back on after replacing the alternator and I got the belt back on but I noticed now the bolt on the pulley you use to get the tension off the belt just spins. It will not tighten, I don't think it loosens. It's no longer possible to get the belt off normally now and I'm not sure what to do...

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
It's a left-hand thread bolt, if you didn't catch that already. The belt passes over it counter-clockwise, so it would loosen the bolt over time with a regular right-hand thread. It will loosen and come off by turning it right/clockwise, if you want to double-check the condition of the threads.

That's an aluminum tensioner bracket, so once you get it snug, don't go too much harder for final tightening (torque spec is somewhere on this site if you search for the list, for official numbers). If it turn out to be booger'd up and starting to strip, you can get the bracket cheap at a junkyard or eBay (or new, as well). It's just the coolant elbows that'd need possible replacement if you need to clean the ports for fresh ones.

I'd grab your 15mm and go work on it for a bit, take the belt off for a few, and ensure the pulley/bolt are in good shape before sending it on its way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a left-hand thread bolt, if you didn't catch that already. The belt passes over it counter-clockwise, so it would loosen the bolt over time with a regular right-hand thread. It will loosen and come off by turning it right/clockwise, if you want to double-check the condition of the threads.

That's an aluminum tensioner bracket, so once you get it snug, don't go too much harder for final tightening (torque spec is somewhere on this site if you search for the list, for official numbers). If it turn out to be booger'd up and starting to strip, you can get the bracket cheap at a junkyard or eBay (or new, as well). It's just the coolant elbows that'd need possible replacement if you need to clean the ports for fresh ones.

I'd grab your 15mm and go work on it for a bit, take the belt off for a few, and ensure the pulley/bolt are in good shape before sending it on its way.
The issue is that as I was putting the belt back on I was letting off the tensioner and the bolt let loose rifht as I got it on. Now as I said it doesn't tighten at all, I can't take the belt off normally. I assume it stripped... How the hell do you take the belt off and put it back without stripping the bolt if you have to torque on the bolt just to release the tension?

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
You can use a breaker bar to put some pressure on the pulley to get some slack, and pull the belt of the smooth water pump pulley. It won't take much to slide it off there. Otherwise, if you can turn it clockwise to loosen the bolt, it might come out, and you can pull that idler/tensioner pulley off.

Hope you get it off to inspect, and find a replacement for cheap, if necessary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can use a breaker bar to put some pressure on the pulley to get some slack, and pull the belt of the smooth water pump pulley. It won't take much to slide it off there. Otherwise, if you can turn it clockwise to loosen the bolt, it might come out, and you can pull that idler/tensioner pulley off.

Hope you get it off to inspect, and find a replacement for cheap, if necessary.
Alright I'll probably just grab a new tensioner assembly and do that then, might as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts