3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 Grand Prix GT with the 3.8 in it and I'm having some idle issues and sometimes it's got a sluggish take off. I just had the radiator, hoses and thermostat replaced. I also just put a new coolant temp sensor in but my Low Coolant light keeps coming on and it just runs horribly. Any idea on what it might be?

·
Registered
849 Posts
If it continues to loose coolant and you don't see a leak on the bottom or ground, you may have a "plenum" rotted/burned thru at the EGR port into throttle housing. It you remove the throttle opening screen and maybe the MAF sensor also, hold/prop the throttle wide open. Get a good flashlight and look closely at this egr port where it comes thru the bottom of the intake port to throttle. This is where they usually leak. If the system is cold, warming the engine first will build pressure to help expose the leak. This type of leak won't leave spots on the ground or chassis and it definitly makes them run crappy and use coolant. I've seen a few that blew the plenum ports and got soo much coolant inside they hydro locked(filled a cylinder up).

Otherwise, do the normal checking of plugs, wires, fuel filter, MAF sensor operation (you can unplug this and run it to see if it runs better), etc).

have fun........... Jake

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i just had the plugs and wires done while it was in the shop for the radiator. I was kinda wondering if it was my MAF and hoping it wasn't considering they're not cheap. I don't have any coolant leakage. Just since i replaced the coolant temp sensor it runs around 210 degrees and the idle is crazy ranging from 500 RPM while driving up to about 3000 at red lights sometimes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts