3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd Like to Swap the 4T60E in my 1996 Olds 98 Regency (C-Body) for a 4T65EHD to increase durability and to lower the Final drive from 2.86:1 to 3.29:1. As the PCM has to communicate with the Body Module, will this swap work? How do I reprogram the Speedometer? Please advise.

·
Super Moderator
371 Posts
I've swapped a complete 1999 L67/4T65e setup into a 1995 Riviera before, and used the newer style PCM to run the entire powertrain under the hood. The harness to the firewall just needs to see the same inputs/outputs to the interior for everything to work properly. Programming the PCM to know what speed to interpret the transmission's VSS signal as, is the important part for that (or use same PCM that goes with the engine/trans).

You're asking a bunch of questions that should probably let you know that you're either A) in for a complete swap overhaul of this vehicle, which requires a bunch of prep and research on your part, or B) going to see that there's a few different routes you can take that may get you what you want with less headache. There's no $200 solution to these types of jobs without already having an inventory of parts and nuanced background info on which junkyard pieces are/aren't required, etc. I played that game as a poor college kid when I started my GTP work, but it's more headache than fun as an adult with a couple spare bucks to get the right parts.

What's your overall thoughts and level of cost comfort with this vehicle? We can suggest a range of options, but if you reply with "that's more than I want to spend" or "how do i figure out the wiring for that"... it indicates this may not be something you want to turn into a driveway/garage ornament after dismantling it and hitting a wall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts