3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an IC in. And the car is now making a very loud whistling sound as the RMP's go up.. (sounds like a turbo spooling up :) )
this led to beleive I have a massive leak.

Me and sveral members have tried to find any vacuum leaks. so far none.

We have sprayed brake cleaner everywhere.. imaginable.. but no leaks. i looked at al the vacuum lines etc etc.

What could be causing this?

I have the EGR on the manifold blocked off and also the EGR blocked off at the EGR not the actual TOG header location. also i am missing a bolt where the by the TB it is a M8x130 i was unable to find one this size.. could the leak be here? but i spray there and nothing..

Could this be the cause of the sound?

HELP!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm not sure exactly to which bolt you are referring. One of the 3 TB bolts? If that is the case, it can cause both a vacuum and coolant leak, so I hope that's not it.

Does the IC block off the PCV passage, or did you install an LS1 TB? If so, you need to be running a valve cover breather.

Sorry, that's all I have... maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
467 Posts
LP only puts one PCV hole in the core, some people have had the thing whistle w/o a breather. I'd be willing to lay down cash that if you open the oil fill on the VC, the whistling will stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm when I had the breather on. My ltirms went back to 16.4 and was unable to get it to read right with thhe ICCU.

without the breather my ltrims can be adjusted with the ICCU.

Ask miller he was my witness..

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
the car is now making a very loud whistling sound as the RMP's go up.. (sounds like a turbo spooling up) this led to beleive I have a massive leak.
Definitely sounds like a vacuum leak to me...

Scott

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mr. INTENSE said:
Definitely sounds like a vacuum leak to me...

Scott

You know, now that you guys say that, mine does the same thing too. It only started doing it recently (i did not put anything in, but this whistling noise came out of nowhere).

What side is yours coming from?? Mine sounds like its near the Alt.

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mine sounds like it is coming from the TB side. by the airfilter..

i have all my TB bolts in.

the bolt i am referring to is the long M8x130 bolt that goes on the rightside of the TB that bolts it down to the lower manifold.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alex,

I dont have the TB bolt in mine either and i dont have any vacuum leaks. As far as the the 2nd pcv hole Alex should have that has he has the 3rd gen IC. We drilled the second hole on my 2nd gen IC so i wouldnt have to use a breather, Alex i will be ordering the TB bolt shorlty if you want one let me know as i will have a couple extra.

paul

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I just thought of one other possibility...

If you're POSITIVE you have no vacuum leaks, remove the oil filler car with the engine idling and see if the whistling disappears. If so, your intercooler's PCV system changes may require an aftermarket breather in one or both valve covers.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, here is an easy way to tell if you have a vacuum leak. Take some car cleaner with the little red tube that comes with it, and spray around areas that you think you may have a leak at. If the engine's RPMS go up when you hit a spot, that's your leak.

·
Registered
713 Posts
ChaosStarter said:
Well, here is an easy way to tell if you have a vacuum leak. Take some car cleaner with the little red tube that comes with it, and spray around areas that you think you may have a leak at. If the engine's RPMS go up when you hit a spot, that's your leak.
we already tried that with no luck, read a few posts back ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I hadn't had any sealing troubs with mine. I did coat both sides of each gasket with rtv and let them dry before installing. Torqued down the blower, warmed it up and re-torqued. After a couple more heat cycles re-torqued again; 'cause I'm just that anal. Watch; tommorrow mine will start whistling! My big problem is I have to keep the car moving to cool the damn thing down. I put 2 - 10" fans on the thing, and I watch my IC temps go up in traffic. Going any speed above 45, and it's a non-issue. I'm going to be swapping in a A/C condenser core for a heat exchanger, and mount it flush to the engine radiator to get a better flow path. The only thing I see that may pose a problem is the engine radiator heating the IC exchanger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
heat exchangers

I modified the IC kit I got by replacing the small heat exchanger with a new core 27.5" wide 15.5" tall and 2" core. The white and red pump failed/cracked and was replaced with a larger pump flowing 650GPH. The system works great, no KR. I have pic's of the heat exchanger if anyone is interested. The only whisling noise(s) I have ever heard from mine is out of the airfilter as the boost builds.

·
Registered
72 Posts
For some reason Alex the old mechanics trick with starting fluid didnt work on my vaccum leak. :confused:

I pulled the FR's and probed around the IC and MAN with a feeler guage. Walla. It went through. I reformed somed of the MAN machined area with epoxy and buttered both sides of my new gasket. We will see.

·
Registered
72 Posts
MP112 ROB said:
For some reason Alex the old mechanics trick with starting fluid didnt work on my vaccum leak. :confused:

I pulled the FR's and probed around the IC and MAN with a feeler guage. Walla. It went through. I reformed somed of the MAN machined area with epoxy and buttered both sides of my new gasket. We will see.
It worked. No leak.Runs better.

·
Vendor
260 Posts
Mr. INTENSE said:
I just thought of one other possibility...

If you're POSITIVE you have no vacuum leaks, remove the oil filler car with the engine idling and see if the whistling disappears. If so, your intercooler's PCV system changes may require an aftermarket breather in one or both valve covers.
This would be a great thing to try. There are very few Intercoolers that utilize the PCV system (To my knowledge, ours and Intense's future IC both utilize it) and blocking it off would result in a problem much like you're having. If you haven't tried this yet, it's definetly worth a go.

What type of core are you running Alex?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts