3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a constant high-pitched whining sound that will happen wehn you get the key to accy. position.

My question(s):

A. How hard is the pump's replacment? Worth having a shop do it or a go git 'r done thing?

B. Just a stocker to replace or is an upgrade in order

Thanks for any input!

-Doc

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think I'll take this one......

Sounds like its going south....

First thing...Change your fuel filter. A restrictive filter WILL burn a pump up. However it sounds that the damage may be done. Pumps can fail mechanically and electrically. The high pitched sound is indication that it may be failing.
I just changed one on my Tahoe that has been screaming for over a year. You may not want to wait. There is an access door on GPs in the trunk for the pump. Make SURE you yank the NEG bat cable...You probably know this though. We make BAD wicks.

Second. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and verify pressure.

With you mods. I believe you'll be reaching max pulse widths soon with a 3.0 ect. You'll probally need some bigger squiters soon aswell (42.5) so a Warbrow pump is recomended..You probably can get it cheaper than a stocker anyway.

Scott has a pump/injector package....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did a new sending unit on my '00 MC recently. It wasn't that bad of a job. I worked from the rear seat with the seat backs folded down. There are three hoses and two electrical connectors to remove, then you have to undo the hold-down ring (I used a hammer and screwdriver). It comes right out after that. I actually got mine used from a place I found through usedpartsfinder.com.

Good luck.

·
Vendor
900 Posts
Hey Chris, I have a low mile used walbro pump here. If you made the drive, I could install it for you. I can also ship it if you wanted it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts