3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a ZZP HVII? I just purchased one and was wondering how hard the install is? How long it usually takes? I'm trying to budget my time for installation. Any advice or precautions?
Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
install is going to take an afternoon if your not sure what youre doing and the RTV is going to need to cure overnight if not more.

·
Banned
203 Posts
I did mine start to finish in about 3 hours. I let it cure for about an hour before I started driving it. Just remember make sure if you get it used to get the longer bolts. They're a life saver.

·
Registered
124 Posts
it took me a few days to do it.

Between classes and having my engine flood with coolant (my fault, shouldnt happen to anyone taking the right steps) it took me from thursday around 4 to sunday night. I could only work till dark because it wasnt a well lit area at my campus parking lot and i couldnt see at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Take the belt off, alternator, fuel rails w/ injectors, airbox and disconnect all the sensors from the TB. Take the plenum off (you can leave the TB on). Take the original gasket off, clean the intake manifold, apply RTV and let it cure overnight. Re-insall everything, then once you start the car check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How long do I have to let the RTV set?(what the hell is RTV?the adhesive I'm asssuming) I'm getting different times. I haven't gotten the insert yet but I'm sure it says in the instructions. Anyone have any problems that I should be concerned about?
Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
ummm... you dont need to take off the belt or alternator. Maybe its differnt for 97-98 but he has a 00.

RTV is a gasket maker. there is no gasket inbetween the upper intake manifold and HVII so you need to make one using RTV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you're buying it new it should come with GM Assembly Adhesive. If not, the p/n is 12346141. It takes 24hrs to to fully cure.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
on the stock gasket, do i have to ut the clips that hold the pcv tube? the hvii wont fit with them there.
thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok thanks. The instructions don't say anything about cutting or having to drill some of the holes bigger :mad: Do you know if I can wait longer than stated before doing the final tightening? Do you think I could let it sit overbight?
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
The final tightening is what makes the seal. The initial wait time (15 minutes or whatever it is) is just so the sealant can "set up". Do the final tightening, but wait as long as you can to start it up.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It says to allow dry time of 4-8 hours. Then it syas to use a torque wrench to tighten them. Then wait 4-12 hours to start the car. My question is can I tighten everything down now. Let the car sit overnight and then start it?

Option #2 can I install everything let it sit overnight and then do the final tightening? or is that too long?

It's going to get dark here in jersey soon that's why I'm asking. I don't want to be in my driveway at 3 in the morning playing with my car

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did the initial dry time for an hour, I think. Then torqued everything back down. Waited around 24 hours before I started it. No leaks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cool...that's what I was going to do but I just wanted to make sure. Zoomer is not around so the next best place to go is to the forum :D Thanks for the help. I hope it goes ok.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No problem. If you end up with a leak, just go back and seal it better. Especially around the coolant passages.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How will I know if I have a leak? Will I hear it,feel it, etc.?

Did you have to drill 2 of the holes larger? I did.

I'm going to contact Zoomer about it and the fact that the instructions don't mention the drilling and the cutting of the PCV clips. I don't want anyone else to get confused. I have the Gen 2 insert with the small groove maybe that's why the instructions were a little different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You MIGHT be able to hear it, it'll be hard if you have a loud exhaust. Do you have anything to scan with? Check your IAC counts once the car has warmed up, if they're around 20, then you have a leak. You can also spray carb cleaner around the plenum and if the idle surges, then you have a leak.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, Thanks. I have an autotap so I'll scan with that tomorrow. What do I want the IAC's at anyway. What's normal? Will other mods effect what they might be?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts