3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok everybody. Hear is my setup. I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with a CSC kit running 11+psi of boost, a VS cam, SLP headers w/high-flow cat, 2 1/2" cat-back system w/u-bend delete, and a bunch of other stuff but those are the major ones. I have an Autotap scanner and I want totune my car for the best performance with 0 KR. The problem is I have no idea how to tune. I have a timing advance dial along with an afc. The afc is set to CSC specs so I don't know if I would mess with it. I leaned it out a little 'cause I was running a little rich. I can advance my timing from +2 to -10. I don't know what to look for on the scanner and what conditions to scan it under(driving,park,idle,wot). I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.
Thanks

PS: Just pretend I don't know anything about how to tune('cause I don't) Please put it in Lamens terms if you can. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same mods here. What stage kit? AFC v1.0? Get an AFC v2.0, it'll help tremendously. I ran pig-rich w/my v1.0 and base CSC code. Have you had the PCM reprogrammed for the VS cam?
______

If you do happen to have a AFC v1.0, here's the CSC chart for 36lb injectors (CSC Stage III):

1-4 are for low end- idle starting at 75%
1 adds 8%
2 adds 4%
3 adds 2%
4 adds 1%

5-8 are for high end- WOT starting at 80%
5 adds 8%
6 adds 4%
7 adds 2%
8 adds 1%

So 3 and 6 & 8 on gives you settings of 77% at idle and 85% at the high end. It automatically slopes in the middle.
______

As far as the Happy Knob (timing dial), here's the chart:

0 C +2
10 C +0
20 C -2
30 C -4 What I ran with 92-93 octane.
40 C -6
50 C -8
60 C -10

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a stage 4 kit only without the intercooler. Basically it's stage 3 with stage 4 pulley(3.4") and bypass valve. I am waiting for Matt to send me the new PCM he had programmed for me for the VS cam. I have a AFCV1.0. I run 94 octane . Any recommendations as to what I should set things at and what to look for on the autotap? I also have a stage 1 TB and 180' t-stat that I forgot to mention. Along with trans upgrades and UD WP pulley.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wait for the PCM, it's a big difference over the standard CSC tune. When I originally had the v1.0 AFC, I had 3, 6, & 8 up, but that was with the 3.6" pulley... so you may need to bump up the high end just a bit. MAF & LTFT will help you tune in your AFC.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any ideas what I should look for on the MAF and LTFT? Like I said I'm new to this tuning thing. I'm not sure what parameters to look for and what they mean. I will ask the tech at the dyno for some help but I wanted some advice from you guys who may have already went thru everything.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Frank, I'll start off by saying it's not easy with an AFC v1.0. And I suck at explaining things. At idle just tune it how you like it. I have mine quite high (positive) on the fuel trims. At cruising speeds you should aim for your STFT & LTFT (short-term, long-term fuel trim) to be as close to ZERO as possible. It will bounce on either side of that (-/+), but try and keep it about -7/+7 at the most. Negative indicates a rich condition, postive indicates lean. Wide Open Throttle "locks in" what fuel trims you set in idle/cruise. Once you get those tuned in, you can work on WOT. For this you'll monitor O2 sensors. You'll want to shoot for them in the 910-930 range, slightly richer is safer while you're learning.

You can graph your fuel trims vs. MAF and see at which frequency you need to adjust -/+ on the AFC in order lean/richen the mixture. The AFC "changes" the MAF sensor frequency, so it fakes the PCM into thinking there is more/less air coming in than there is.

1k-4k = Idle (STFT/LTFT)
4k-7k = Cruise (STFT/LTFT/MAF/RPM)
7k-13k = WOT (LTFT/MAF/RPM/O2s)

Did you buy the CSC new from Stattama/ZZP? Even if not, Matt M. is REALLY good at answering any questions you might have. I'm not a exactly a tuning genius, but I'll help you to the best of my ability.

And BTW, if you use your scan tool and look at IAT that will tell you were you timing knob is set. Don't go too low on the temp unless you want new pistons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts