3800Pro Forums banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Question: why not use a modified welshplug to plug the hohle?
You most likely won't find a freeze plug that fits, and if you modify you run the risk of it failing and loosing oil pressure. Would you really want to take that risk and either blow your engine or have to pull the engine again and disassemble it again to fix any problems? But if you do try it, you'd be a brave soul who will eventually teach us whether it works or not. This would have to be a press fit. I believe someone did ask the question whether we could use the original bearing that comes here with the oil hole rotated 180 do it blocks the hole, but I don't recall seeing an answer to this question to whether it is a good alternate solution. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
You most likely won't find a freeze plug that fits, and if you modify you run the risk of it failing and loosing oil pressure. Would you really want to take that risk and either blow your engine or have to pull the engine again and disassemble it again to fix any problems? But if you do try it, you'd be a brave soul who will eventually teach us whether it works or not. This would have to be a press fit. I believe someone did ask the question whether we could use the original bearing that comes here with the oil hole rotated 180 do it blocks the hole, but I don't recall seeing an answer to this question to whether it is a good alternate solution. :)

ill pull my spare engine apart and see if i can match up a welsh plug from one of the trucks we got lying around ... ill see how i go

·
Registered
250 Posts
Balance Shaft

So how many holes do you have to plug? Wouldn't you have to plug 2 one for the oil feed from the secondary balance deal and the other over by the water pump?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you need to run a double chain if you delete the gear ?

First off, most excellent replies, folks here know their stuff, and aren't suggesting off-the-wall solutions.

I've got a 1992 Series I in a Bonneville that I am trying to keep running for just a bit longer, the original engine is clicking over 460k miles.

Yup, almost a half-million.

The balance shaft is *really* loose, I can shift up and down by hand, so there is no doubt that the bearings are toast. I can remove the gear in about 2 hrs and seal the whole thing up, I just don't know if I'd need to run a double chain for any reason. It would be laughable to consider this a performance engine, I'm just looking to possibly reach 500k with it....

Any help most appreciated, this forum actually kept me from starting to swap the engine out !

(and yes, the only thing I've had to do internal to the engine, aside from this, was the recent replacement of the oil pump. No one believes that it wore out)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow - old thread.

I have a 99GTP that's starting to sound 'rattly'

Car has ~103K on the body, and mabye 30k on the engine...

30k ago, Diamond Forged Pistons were installed, the heads were ported, and new main bearings, etc...

The rattle sound is similar to what you would expect a worn out M90 to sound like, however this sound is coming from inside the engine.

I suspect it's the balance shaft.

I recorded a sound byte from under the hood, did some noise reduction in an attempt to isolate the dominate knock sound. counting the time between knocks in relation to RPM, and it seems to occur one time every two crank revolutions. (It's gotta be the balance shaft 'play' no?)

I don't feel like pulling the motor, but I don't see how this shaft is going to slide out without doing so.

Can the balance shaft drive gear be easily disabled?

Is there any 'up to date' writeup for this process that anyone is aware of?

-Thanks

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Forged pistons sound "diesley" when improperly installed. The balance shaft doesn't make noise and all you do is pull it out and plug the oiling hole. Very simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Others will most likely know better but here is what I found on an older Gen I engine

What I've found (your experience will most likely differ) for the older (92-95s) the biggest issue seems to be the middle of the cam end up with wiped lobes on higher mileage engines. My 463k mile engine (with all routine maintenance destroyed a cam, which was the source of my noise. This was of course discovered *after* pulling the ballance shaft gear.... The timing chain was also exceptionally loose, to the point that I was almost able to remove the gear w/out pulling the adjuster.

It was cheaper to just get a junkyard engine than to find & replace the cam.

Of course, the engine that I swapped in also had pitting on the the middle lobes.... but (knocks on wood) 20k miles is not a bad trade off for a $250 engine. (and it only takes about 1/2 day to swap out, so it's worth it for me...)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imp0ster -- Forged pistons can sound “diesely” correctly installed.

Diamond offsets the wrist pin to reduce warm-up chatter.

At operating temperature, the slap will quiet the tolerances tighten up.

Honestly, I’m impressed with how quiet my forged pistons are, and have been.

I don’t know where you get your information from, but not only do balance shafts make noise, but it’s rather common, actually.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask, and I will try to help you out.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts