·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Nice drawing James.

·
Registered
568 Posts
so if the rear cover plate is adequate in blocking off the oil from the balance shaft hole....
why are you putting in a dodge 440 cam bearing in it to block it off????????????????????
I jumped to conclusions and thought I had to block off both holes (front and rear)
The rear block off which was probably sticking out and caused my rear cover plate to not seal

·
Registered
347 Posts
That that 440 bearing is just a different way to do it. It would still allow oil through the oil passage, but then it would slam into the bearing wall and have no where to go, effectively doing the same thing- but I don't reccomend it with what a PITA it was to do- drill n tap FTW

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Jon, I am sorrym but what exactly do you not understand about this?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I understand everything clearly now, my idiocy is gone.
I just thought the 440 cam bearing was to block off both the front and rear Gapping hole! Didnt know you could leave it open LMAO
I went overkill on my block

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry what is the purpose of removing the balance shaft??

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ok so what exactly is to be gained from removing the bearing and if it causes slightly more vibration wont that give false readings to your knock sensor?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
the best benifit is less rotating mass which means more hp. your also losing some overall weight with little to no downside.

just curious Marshall, why do you have alky injection if your N/A?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
the best benifit is less rotating mass which means more hp. your also losing some overall weight with little to no downside.

just curious Marshall, why do you have alky injection if your N/A?
i dont use it but its functional im doing all supporting mods first before i go turbo so that way when i start boosting i wont have any ill effects

·
Registered
767 Posts
Sorry what is the purpose of removing the balance shaft??
usually it's so that you can run a double roller T chain for a high rpm/spring pressure valvetrain

it has ancillary benifits as well, but can make for a slightly rougher idle since it will no longer dampen 2nd and 3rd order harmonics inherent in a 90* V6 with a split journal crank

ok so what exactly is to be gained from removing the bearing and if it causes slightly more vibration wont that give false readings to your knock sensor?
the "vibration" is a rocking effect...low frequency at idle it's not in the frequency range that the piezo-electric knock sensors are tuned to
you remove the rear bearing in most cases to plug the oiling hole one of several ways...this is an ancillary benifit of balance shaft delete...more oil for the rest of the engine

less rotating mass doesnt add Hp...it reduces rotating inertia which is one of the forces an engine must overcome to rev as fast as possible, it is improving performance for sure...but doesnt add Hp...it reduces the amount "wasted" to accelerate the mass of a 1 inch radius steel shaft (which isnt a whole lot of rotating inertia...now if it was the same mass but with a 2 inch radius...thats a significantly larger amount of rotating inertia, but as we all know... every little bit helps...

and yes weight savings with a tiny downside...and it's a free mod if your in the engine that far....:icon_lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alright, quick question... I understand the blocking off and everything, but if the stock bearing is pressed in there, why not just rotate it and use the old bearing (or a new one) to plug the hole, then you would know it is the right size instead of trying to cram the slightly oversized 440 bearing in. Or am I missing something...

I am probably going to drill and tap, I was just curious as to why the/a stock bearing cannot be used.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Ben you can use the stock berring but it is about double the price and is still the same "pita" to put in. It is deseigned to be pressed in like the 440 bering. so the same thing has to be done for installation. The oversize is less then .001.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The worst part is the bearing ha s a groove on the outside so oil flows around it. You would have to install the bearing half way to cover the oiling passage witht the edge of the bearing where it has no groove. I really dont think this would work, and simply flipping the bearing will do nothing. Drill and tap it, thats the safest way I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
just curious whats the average HP gain from this mod if any at all

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Doesen't matter, just ask for a cam berring set for a 440. And use the little berring.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Mine has been drilled and tapped for over 4 years now. No problems ever.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Drill and tap.. I believe that is the best and easiest.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts