3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I replaced my 3.4" pulley with an MPS, and decided that while I was at it, I'd take some pictures and do a 'how to'.

I'm not sure what brand puller I have, but I've seen several like it, and the instructions should be similar. You'll need a 12" or larger crescent wrench, a 24MM wrench, a supercharger pulley puller, some lube/grease, a 15mm socket and breaker bar or ratchet for the tensioner, a side cutter or other tool to remove the plastic pins, and a 13mm socket for the brace.

Removing the plastic pins that hold the washer bottle. (your car may or may not have the washer bottler here?)

Removing the radiator brace(to be able to remove the washer bottle). It's 13MM on all 3 bolts. Washer bottle has 2 connectors and one hose that you'll have to remove, along with one small sheet metal nut on the strut tower.

Remove the sheetmetal nut and move the fuse box out of the way.

Remove the breather nut next. Some vehicles will have a plastic push pin here. Don't lose it.

Untension the supercharger belt tensioner, using a 15MM socket and breaker bar or ratchet, pull it toward you to untension.

Install the 8MM stud with the hex hole facing away from the supercharger. You only want to put this in finger tight.

Here we're installing the pulley bolt with nut and washer in the position shown. The long bolt threads onto the 8MM stud, again, just finger tight.

This is the puller completely assembled, make sure to lube the side of the nut and washer facing you. I use antisieze compound, but grease should work fine

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Notice here the crescent wrench on the square end of the long bolt and the long rod in the end of the puller bar. Make sure the long rod is firmly against the car body(you can put a rag under it if you want to keep from scratching the paint). Also make sure the crescent wrench is against the strut tower, again with a rag under it if desired.

Using the 24MM wrench, turn the puller nut in a counterclockwise direction(away from you if you're standing at the front of the car) With your wrenches as I've set them up, you shouldn't need any additional hands, but make absolutely sure that neither the bar or the crescent wrench turns, anything turning but the 24MM wrench at this point will result in a broken 8MM stud. You'll probably have to lean on the 24MM wrench pretty good at this point to get everything started.

Halfway there!

It's off!

This is what it looks like nekid! Clean off any dirt, oil etc at this point.

I'm installing an MPS hub, but installing a regular pulley is exactly the same. Thread the 8MM stud back into the snout shaft if it came out, again finger tight, hand start the pulley, just to make sure it won't fall off. Thread the installer bolt(same as the puller bolt, but with the nut and washer switched) onto the 8MM stud, finger tight with the bar in front of the washer.

Lube the washer and nut again, and finger tighten the nut

Put the crescent wrench back on the square end of the bolt, put the long shaft on the bar and let it rest on the radiator support. You can put a rag under it to protect the paint if you want, and put the 24MM wrench on the installer nut. It is imperative that you hold the crescent wrench so it can't turn!!!!! If you don't, you'll break the 8MM stud. The long shaft will keep the installer bar from turning. Now start tightening the large nut, pulling towards you(clockwise) until it provides stiff resistance. Remove the installer.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

It should look like this, with the end of the supercharger snout shaft being even with the end of the pulley. If not, reinstall the installer and push it on more.

Reinstall the parts you took off, belt, washer bottle, fuse box, Supercharger breather, and radiator support bar(torque is 35 ft lbs).

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is a wonderful post...great pictures. I agree, it should be stickied

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No.

·
Registered
315 Posts
great write-up, but isn't the hub on backwards?

Nope, its not flush like some of the other hubs are. This is probably why you are confused.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
gotcha. I'm thinking of the Intense Hub. Sorry about that. :8
This is interesting information. can someone post up photos of the different style hubs to expand on the information? I wasn't aware there were different looking style hubs.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do you think you can't? If I can do it...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well it is more complex than I thought, but i will still probably try it. I just dont want to screw it up, because my car is my daily driver. My friend has a pulley puller, so i think he may be able to help me. I guess I just dont have enough confidence working with cars to think that I wont screw something up.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As long as it's the CORRECT pulley puller, and not a generic puller, otherwise you will destroy your pulley and not be able to install the new one. If you're not sure, post a picture here of the puller.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok it probably is not the right one, I did not know it was that important. But he got it for his Camaro Z28. I believe, he is a mechanic, and he seemed like it wouldnt be a problem.

Probably have it done at a 3800 shop.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ok it probably is not the right one, I did not know it was that important. But he got it for his Camaro Z28. I believe, he is a mechanic, and he seemed like it wouldnt be a problem.

Probably just have it done at a 3800 shop.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the puller doesn't support the entire back of the pulley, like the one in the pictures, then it'll bend the pulley. You can rent pullers from most of the vendors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts