3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get a good launch? so far my best with my GTP is a 2.1 60ft :(

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
The BEST way is an LSD and some slicks. If your looking at doing it on street tires, this is the advice I got from Merc (one of the best street tire launchers I've seen/heard of).

1) Lower front tire pressure to about 22-24 (play with this)
2) Raise rear tire pressure to max (approx 40lb psi)
3) Avoid the water box but do a quick stab of the throttle to shock the tires loose and scrub the tires clean.
4) Brake stand the car to about 1500 rpm (play with this).
5) Let off the brake and roll into the throttle so that you are WOT over the period of a about one second.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Rogue said:
The BEST way is an LSD and some slicks. If your looking at doing it on street tires, this is the advice I got from Merc (one of the best street tire launchers I've seen/heard of).

1) Lower front tire pressure to about 22-24 (play with this)
2) Raise rear tire pressure to max (approx 40lb psi)
3) Avoid the water box but do a quick stab of the throttle to shock the tires loose and scrub the tires clean.
4) Brake stand the car to about 1500 rpm (play with this).
5) Let off the brake and roll into the throttle so that you are WOT over the period of a about one second.

Good Luck!
Couldnt have said it better myself :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
about the only variance i have is I usually brake stand to about 2300, let that pull the car out then roll with it, I dunno if Ive just gotten so use to the car with over 115 passes under my belt in it or if the tracks around me prep a little better, but I do all of the above, with the exception to the rpms, and can pull 2.0's all day long

·
Registered
32 Posts
?????

So what about using Hoosier QTP's and a completely STOCK tranny? :confused: I only go to the track a couple times a year and don't do burnouts unless I'm at the track. Am I gonna shell the tranny? The car has 68,000 on it.

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
You will want to look out for and avoid the 1 wheel burnout. This can grenade your stock dif into the rest of your trans. Burnouts will be hard on the trans no doubting but a few times a year and being sure to get both wheels turning should be ok.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Jamie, i ran QTPs with a completely stock trans for a little while. When Big Jeff pulled out my diff we expected it to be blown, but surprisingly it was ok. If you do proper burnouts you will be fine running slicks on a stock trans, although it is still highly recommended to have at least an LSD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am still running the rockers I bought from you Steve :D :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Keep the RPMs high when you're doing a burnout, this helps the car do 2 wheel burnouts instead of the dreaded 1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PGA2B said:
So what about using Hoosier QTP's and a completely STOCK tranny? :confused: I only go to the track a couple times a year and don't do burnouts unless I'm at the track. Am I gonna shell the tranny? The car has 68,000 on it.
I have been racing my GTP since I bought it with 44,000 miles on it and now I have 110,000. I have been using QTP's mounted on stock 16" torque stars since the car had 95,000 on it and have made approximately 200 1/8th mile runs with no problems for the stock tranny. I do have a tranny cooler and an intense shift kit. Brought my 60 foot times from 1.98-2.03 to 1.88-1.93. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
i've gotten good results with this, and i've got a stock tranny and street tires. Lower front tire pressure to 20 psi, avoid water box, quick spin of tires for a sec to knock debris loose. Mash the brake and rev to 3k let off break on 2nd yellow and once you hook slam the gas. I've gotten a 13.7 with a 1.89 60' with that and it works great for me. Although some say my car is a freak since i can rev that high :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mapex said:
i've gotten good results with this, and i've got a stock tranny and street tires. Lower front tire pressure to 20 psi, avoid water box, quick spin of tires for a sec to knock debris loose. Mash the brake and rev to 3k let off break on 2nd yellow and once you hook slam the gas. I've gotten a 13.7 with a 1.89 60' with that and it works great for me. Although some say my car is a freak since i can rev that high :D
might try to rev to 3k and see if my car moves or atleast until I feel my car moving foward. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
mybluegtp said:
might try to rev to 3k and see if my car moves or atleast until I feel my car moving foward. :rolleyes:
Agreed you cannot launch harldy any modded gtp that way. You'll just sit and spin. The most we've ever been able to do is about 2200. We have to launch as low as 1600 depending on trap prep.

·
Registered
713 Posts
spd98 said:
Agreed you cannot launch harldy any modded gtp that way. You'll just sit and spin. The most we've ever been able to do is about 2200. We have to launch as low as 1600 depending on trap prep.
are you running on a slick, because i consider my car pretty highly modded, and I stall to 3000-3100 and drop the pedal to the floor, no hesitation. 1.71 60' times every single pass.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I like to shift into 2nd during the burnouts to get the tires up to speed quick. Plus all the smoke it creates makes everyone point. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
With steves s3'd car you cannot launch that hard.
I have basically the same motor as Steve does, so we know that setup can launch like that, is it just bad traction at a certain track or all tracks? What are his 60' times like?

·
Registered
187 Posts
So for all 3 tracks I have seen him run at have the same problems. Slicks did help ALOT but anything over about 22-2300 is a garanteed spin. Unless all our tracks suck which I would doubt either. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts