3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to this forum thing guys so I have a 06 Pontiac Grand Prix Gt S/c that I want to make a bit faster. I haven’t done much to it just some minor things like: Auto lite XP Iridium Spark Plugs, ZZP 3800 1.0 PCM, 180 Degree Thermostat, ZZP 3800 3” Catted Downpipe, 10.5 mm park plug wires, and Cold air intake. Anything else I can add ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your off to a good start. I would do a knock retard scan & if it comes back good I would drop a supercharger pulley size and check the kr again to make sure its still good. That would really wake up your GP

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dropping the supercharger pulley to a 3.4" size will give you more boost and more power but just be cautious. You can most likely get away with it on the 95-03 engines (with supporting mods) but on the 04- 07 3800 series III with the Gen V supercharger the engine won't handle the extra boost without adding an intercooler. This already proved out on my 06 series III engine as the Eaton Gen V supercharger is a more efficient design. Whichever way you go always scan for KR's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your off to a good start. I would do a knock retard scan & if it comes back good I would drop a supercharger pulley size and check the kr again to make sure its still good. That would really wake up your GP
Thank you I appreciate your input

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
In addition to the guys above (and yes, scanning for anything further is key, and there's a range of price/product options for that, based on how into it you want to get), I would suggest doing a bunch of the cheap/free mods that keep maintenance and such easier. I love adding the power wire upgrades that are ~$15-20, and even the fuel pump rewires that give your pump a better connection to run stronger and fuel things more reliably.

Each time I did 1-2 mods to my GTP, I'd usually spend a few months just working to optimize the gains it had by trying to cover all the minor bases that'll help get the most for the money I spent (was a college kid who could barely spend $500 in addition to my auto payment, but it got me to ~13.7-9 in the 1/4, because I slowly improved the same setup).

Another inexpensive item ($25-45) would be a transmission shift kit, along with fresh filter and fluid, if you haven't had that in a while. I'd favor the more complete and proven Transgo kit (vs. kits with plastic/nylon shims), and you can add the $6 Sonnax differential tube clamp while in there (see my #2 build video from 2020, I think). That's more of a maintenance and longevity item, but great for helping mildly modded cars keep their transmission happier longer. A transmission cooler added in-line with the OEM path to the radiator helps, too, unless you go for a big $100+ unit that can handle the job solo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dropping the supercharger pulley to a 3.4" size will give you more boost and more power but just be cautious. You can most likely get away with it on the 95-03 engines (with supporting mods) but on the 04- 07 3800 series III with the Gen V supercharger the engine won't handle the extra boost without adding an intercooler. This already proved out on my 06 series III engine as the Eaton Gen V supercharger is a more efficient design. Whichever way you go always scan for KR's.
I also took my blower off because I want to get it ported but I’m not sure who to send it out to for the work any ideas ?

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
For a GenV, it's not much of a gain. The inlet is already larger than previous versions, since they got 75mm throttle bodies. The outlet was optimized to no longer have bolt castings in the outlet corners at the business end like Series 2 engines, which was the main porting benefit.

There's 20 other things that will gain you much more power, if you read thru the many posts, YouTube Q&A videos, and see what's been done in the 15+yrs since the Series 3 came out, and 25+yrs since the Series 2 got going.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts