3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated above. I am wondering what i should be seeing wi my 04 comp g......180therm, 3.4 pully, cai. on 91 octane gas..if someone else has simalar mods and has scanned their car please let me know as i dont have a scanner to use..

thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Each car seems to react to mods differently. One might have 0KR and another several degrees of knock. It's best to scan your car to be sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah do a scan, my car only saw a couple degrees with a 3.0 and 15lbs of boost and what most people would call not enough supporting mods.

all cars are different.

·
Registered
93 Posts
well i would say try and find a cheap one or find someone close to you.

or if u really wanna run the 3.4 and dont have any way to get a scan 'd get colder plugs, and maybe a ubend delete before trying it just to be safe.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What everyone is trying to say is that it's impossible to tell what deg of KR you have with your car. But, the objective is 0 KR no matter what mods you have. If you are seeing KR with only a 3.4" pulley it will probably be very light KR. And was probably there a little with the 3.8" pulley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've heard that the '04's have a more difficult time running the 3.4" pulley due to the Gen V blower pushing more air. You could be seeing a little, or you could be seeing a lot. You just don't know. But from my experience with these cars, you need to either find someone who has a scanner and scan your car, or purchase one. www.ls1m.com
If you happen to have one that is seeing a lot of KR with your setup, you could be damaging your motor. It really just needs to be scanned.

·
Registered
93 Posts
we did answer ur question.

every car is different, its not that easy as to say oh u have these mods, ok u will have exactly tih smuch kr, way to many variables in tomany different things.

u will ned a scan to answer ur question period.

·
Registered
72 Posts
vonivogtp said:
not trying to sound rude but no one has answered my original question.....
Many that I've heard, reported averaging around 5-6 kr with a 3.4 pulley. That wouldn't be acceptable for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Answer

No one can tell you what your car will see in KR, every car is different. Before you do anything buy a scanner and get a baseline scan. Don't be surprised to see KR with a stock engine. We all have seen it on the '04s.

When I run with a 3.4 I usually see between 5-6 KR as Pope said. ;) This is not reccomended.

I would reccomend switching to a 3.5 first and rescanning. You really want zero KR but I rarely see it. I would also wait for the DHP PCM to come out and see what everyone's result are. We will post with results on club gp.

WE DON'T HAVE A U-BEND ON THE '04!

The above information is for '04s only. GM made suttle changes to the car. Namely adding a table that is A/F specific for timing, added a higher efficency blower creating more boost with the same size pulley over the previous gen III, the possibility of smaller injectors (not proven yet), major torque management by using KR (3-6*) to limit timing between shifts, and a different down-pipe for the exhaust. If you want to learn more about the '04 then also visit the Club gp 2004 fourm.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
No one can tell you what your car will see in KR, every car is different. Before you do anything buy a scanner and get a baseline scan. Don't be surprised to see KR with a stock engine. We all have seen it on the '04s.
Agreed.

WE DON'T HAVE A U-BEND ON THE '04!
Correct.

The above information is for '04s only. GM made suttle changes to the car. Namely adding a table that is A/F specific for timing, added a higher efficency blower creating more boost with the same size pulley over the previous gen III, the possibility of smaller injectors (not proven yet),
Yes, the fuel injectors are 15% smaller. And the fuel pressure is no longer referenced to boost, giving you less fuel pressure above ~ 6 psi than L67-powered cars have. Check this thread for more information:

http://www.3800tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1047

major torque management by using KR (3-6*) to limit timing between shifts,
Actually, the stock table goes MUCH higher than that. We turn approximately half of that off in the INTENSE Standard PCM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your KR Value.

Well i'm the only one in my area with a Scanner for MNCGP so I've scanned a few guys. One bone stock was getting around 3-4 KR and at one point he got 6-12 KR in 2nd gear at WOT.

http://www.storefrontx.com/dykz1.csv, http:www.storefrontx.com/dykz2.csv

Again that is bone stock, with the stock pulley. Look at the IATs too, its cold out so it would be even higher in regular temps.

Next, I scanned a 3.4" w/ CAI and 3" exhuast pipe(no res no cat), Stock Muffs.

Same temps, we saw anywhere between 4-7 Degrees on Average and as high as 11.99KR...

Like people have said, all cars are different. From what i've seen you have High KR. and if its true that the new blower puts even more stress on the motor then you have VERY high KR.

if your worried, which I would be if I were you, and I take it you are since you posted about it.. You should take off the 3.4 and put the stock back until you can access a scanner or find someone that can scan. If you cant put the stock one back, just pull the supercharger belt for now, yes your car will run SLOW without it, but better then damaging the motor until you know for sure...

Colder plugs are good from what I hear...

I've got a stock pulley, Silver Ceramic TOGs, Fenderwall Intake, Complete Custom Cat-Back exhaust, 180 Drilled T-stat, and Autolite 104s (2 heat ranges colder then stock) and I still see between 0-1 KR at times, even though I think its false, I will fix it before I put on a smaller pulley just to be safe. The scanner is my most useful mod now, and I recommend buying one ASAP if you cant find someone to scan you.

-UrbelT

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Mr. INTENSE said:
Quote:
major torque management by using KR (3-6*) to limit timing between shifts,

Actually, the stock table goes MUCH higher than that. We turn approximately half of that off in the INTENSE Standard PCM.
I have a question about this. If the PCM uses KR as a timing retarder for shifts, when exactly during the shift process does this happen and will it be visible on a scanner? What should I look for if it is and how do I know if it's planned KR or actual knock?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts