3800Pro Forums banner

How Much BOOST!

5K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Jonathan_Cain 
#1 ·
If I were to rebuild my 3.8s bottom end w/ forged rods and pistons, how much boost do you think i could safely run through the motor. I'd like to be able to run 15-18 psi. Do you think this would be possible?? :confused:

#2 ·
im not 100% sure but i think you should be fine, but dont forget to replace bearings, main studs, etc basically you would want to replace anything you can while you have the motor out, maybe someone else can chime in and list anything i may have forgot to mention. Also if you plan on running that much psi you may want to consider dont a tranny upgrade as well

#4 ·
pretty much everything thats offered in the intense kit, or the ZZP tranny, if you decide to go with the ZZP tranny you might want to add an LSD, single chain,input outshaft, you might want to contact zoomer or Big Jeff at intense they should be able to tell everything you need and what you can go without

#15 ·
stuffy236 said:
zoom told me only 5 psi non intercooled would be appropriate and then i would need an IC or race gas or something along those lines
He was probably refering to boost with a turbo on the 9.4:1 compression L36. With a stock cam, stock heads, manifolds, and a stock PCM that would be about the limit. These guys running 15-17psi unintercooled boost have stage 3 cams, headwork, and headers.

With a PCM with timing control you could probably run 9-10psi from a turbo and be safe.

#16 ·
pimpiumz34 said:
He was probably refering to boost with a turbo on the 9.4:1 compression L36. With a stock cam, stock heads, manifolds, and a stock PCM that would be about the limit. These guys running 15-17psi unintercooled boost have stage 3 cams, headwork, and headers.

With a PCM with timing control you could probably run 9-10psi from a turbo and be safe.
that is probably true Clint, i wasnt thinking of the higher compression and stock parts.

#19 ·
pimpiumz34 said:
BTW Steve, 17psi non-intercooled is crazy!! :eek: When are you going to get some better times? And a freaking intercooler already! :p
I will be racing twice in the next two weeks at what I feel is the best track in the country, and I think we have finally figured out my tuning problems, so stay tuned for some new times very shortly, as well as dyno numbers. I wont be putting on an intercooler until next season, I have switched setups too many times already this year. I want to get the most out of this one before I change it again.

#23 · (Edited)
I was runing 17 psi of boost non intercooled on 92 octane with 24* of timing all day long with 0 KR until I tried to add on a smaller pulley and ran into some slippage issues, I think the reality of this is what heads are you using, what type of exhaust configuration you have, what is your compression, what cam do you have and also what power adder do you run. I really don't think its outlandish to say that with some race gas I should be able to push 22+lbs of boost non intercooled, once I have my belt slippage figured out I will let you know how far I can take it.

#24 ·
I am looking at either buying the stage 2 heads from zzp or from supersix motorsports. I have the GT2 cam from zzp, but ill probably wind up buying a turbo cam and set of aftermarket heads from intense. I currently have pacesetter headers and will be using a turbo kit that bolts right up to them. The exhaust will run open from the down pipe.

#25 ·
Davjos81 said:
I am looking at either buying the stage 2 heads from zzp or from supersix motorsports. I have the GT2 cam from zzp, but ill probably wind up buying a turbo cam and set of aftermarket heads from intense. I currently have pacesetter headers and will be using a turbo kit that bolts right up to them. The exhaust will run open from the down pipe.
If you are looking for heads you might want to check out my Website, its in my profile. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.