3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody done it or have any info on how to do it ... we got the box already along with the coil pack we just need to put them in....

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm running a DIS 4 in my 98' GTP. What do you want to know? Mine came with instructions that where pretty clear. MSD's web site has installation instructions if you need them. Don't forget the coil adapters. Those you will need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you mount your box Do you have any pics??

·
Registered
784 Posts
I mounted my box in the glove box. I know they say not to ( they don't say why though). But, I couldn't find anyplace else to put it that I liked. I've seen some guys put their's on top of their battery. The box has a disable switch and I like the idea of opening my glove box and in 5 sec. I can completly disable the ignititon system. Very difficult for a car theif to deal with. The box does have a little bit of a hum to it. I always drive with my radio on so I don't even hear it. But, it is something to keep in mind. Very easy to wire. Follow the color codes and you won't have any troubles. You can run a .060 plus plug gap when you use this ignition system. That your going to like. I run a .064 gap with great success. Seems to really help eliminate those 40 - 60 mph flat spots. With the mods you've got, you'll get some real good out of this ignition. I don't really recommend one of these MSD ignitions on a stock or lightly modified car. It won't hurt anything but, won't help either. Yours on the other hand, well, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx man it is not my car it is a project that we are working on we are trying to get in the mid to low 12s what kind of numbers are you makin??

·
Registered
439 Posts
DO not mount it in the glove box !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the reason is it over heats and fails to spark cause missfires or randomly sprak cause knock !!!!!

and not hard to wire at all my mom did it for me cause i'm color blind!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
My unit stays very cool in the glove box. Certainly cooler than it will stay under the hood. It may be different on other cars but, on a 98' GTP, if that's why they say not to put it in the glove box, because of heat. Don't worry about it. Now, I did make an aluminnum rack/bracket which mounts it cross ways in the glove box. Making sure the units switches point outward when the glove box door is opened, and keeps the bottom of the unit up in the air. Allowing air to move around all 6 sides keeping it almost cabin temp all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A note to 3.8 F-body guys reading this, if you use the CUIs from MSD sometimes the instructions conflict with wiring in the MSD DIS4 instructions. Had it wired just like it said and it would run with the plug in the end, but not with the ignition box wired. The problem is that the CUI goes on top of the ignition controler and on some F-bodies the terminals are inversed, causing a problem. If you're not sure, use a multimeter to check for which terminal is hot. Overall its an easy project though. Can be done in a few hours.

·
Registered
439 Posts
njp98 said:
A note to 3.8 F-body guys reading this, if you use the CUIs from MSD sometimes the instructions conflict with wiring in the MSD DIS4 instructions. Had it wired just like it said and it would run with the plug in the end, but not with the ignition box wired. The problem is that the CUI goes on top of the ignition controler and on some F-bodies the terminals are inversed, causing a problem. If you're not sure, use a multimeter to check for which terminal is hot. Overall its an easy project though. Can be done in a few hours.
yeah your suppose to check before you wire it up... my car the right one was the 12volt so you have to use the alt wiring diagram

·
Banned
165 Posts
In my opinion, I would not waste your money on a DIS. The stock ignition system is more than adequate for whatever power you can throw at your car.

We run the stock ignition on all of our cars, including the turbo car, without issue. On my car (11.48) I run stock EVERYTHING, wires too!

--Chris

·
Registered
439 Posts
Excell said:
In my opinion, I would not waste your money on a DIS. The stock ignition system is more than adequate for whatever power you can throw at your car.

We run the stock ignition on all of our cars, including the turbo car, without issue. On my car (11.48) I run stock EVERYTHING, wires too!

--Chris
ummm wierd

we have been having problem in the RWD car cars seeming like the revlimiter is kicking in, and every time it spark blow out cuase ing it

Linxus. bolt on 3.8 camaro. wiht t-70 5psi runs fin to the red line (60#injectors)
but at 7PSI at 4000-4500 RPM the car shuts off like it the speed/revlimited but its not nothing was changed

plug gap is .035

and 2 other cars had the same problem and adding the DIS-4 fixed it..... so is there somthing else we are missing here?

the MAF is not maxed out and everything on the car check out, turn the boost down to 5psi and the car is fine....

any thoughts?

·
Banned
165 Posts
Andrew,

That is strange. I was unaware of any major differences between the W-body and F-body V6 ignition systems. My brother also has an LS1 car that makes ~525WHP and runs to 6800 on the stock V8 ignition system.

I will have to do some more research on the subject.

--Chris

·
Registered
784 Posts
Whether an MSD Dis 4 is a waste of money or not is very subjective. If your looking to make upgrades that knock time off of your 1/4 mile ET then this upgrade (until your car is fully upgraded in other areas) is probably not for you. The MSD Dis 4 allows you to run a much bigger gap on your plugs even on highly moded cars. This equals Slightly better performance and improved gas milage. Also this device allows you to retard the timing at a selected RPMs. On a car running a small pulley this is a great way to control KR at WOT. An MSD Dis 4 on a highly upgraded car along with an AFC 2.0 makes for an ideal combo to keep your car tunned. Just some thoughts on the MSD Dis 4.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the difference in the ignitions systems' performance between the V6 and the V8 is due to the choice of plugs. FWIW, I'm also not running a DIS, but I have noticed that as I've thrown more boost/nitrous at the car it has gotten more finicky with the selection of plugs. Plugs that worked fine for me last year, sucked really bad this year. Just something else to consider, since the V6 and the V8s have different combustion chamber designs.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts