3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 74, and have been working on cars since my dad taught me when I was 6. I just picked up a 07 LaCrosse CX with 38k, 3.8 Series III. Interior and engine are fantastic, previous owner wasn't very careful when putting it in the garage. Any suggestions for inexpensive engine mods would be appreciated. Wouldn't mind adding a couple MPG! I hope to have many conversations on this forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm near you in the west suburbs in Hangover Park.
I'd have to see what support DHP would do for an 07 but I probably would not be able to tune your car I believe 07 and 08 require HP tuners.
I can show you how to modify the air box get yourself a good synthetic dry air filter the k&n's just aren't worth it for a little bit more you can get a modern dry synthetic media filter that flows nearly the same and does not require cleaning off the maf sensor wires all the time because of oil coating it from the k&n.
A supercharged top swap is always a good time. But it's also fairly easy to do a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous and these things will handle that all day long.

·
Administrator
1,472 Posts
Correct, HPT is needed for those years. DHP cannot read/edit/scan anything past 2004-5, due to CANbus protocols, etc. that weren't built into that package.

For MPG's, basic airflow upgrades in/out (intake, exhaust choke points) and maintenance of the usual items will be your ticket (plugs, intake gaskets, vac lines, fuel system, etc.). Beyond that, mild tune work may gain you a little here and there. 3800's have just enough grunt to sustain our big cars for 30+mpg highway when running tip-top, which is pretty nice for an old design with semi-modern features.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm near you in the west suburbs in Hangover Park.
I'd have to see what support DHP would do for an 07 but I probably would not be able to tune your car I believe 07 and 08 require HP tuners.
I can show you how to modify the air box get yourself a good synthetic dry air filter the k&n's just aren't worth it for a little bit more you can get a modern dry synthetic media filter that flows nearly the same and does not require cleaning off the maf sensor wires all the time because of oil coating it from the k&n.
A supercharged top swap is always a good time. But it's also fairly easy to do a 50 or 75 shot of nitrous and these things will handle that all day long.
I definitely would be interested in the airbox mod. I was looking into a good CAI. but this would probably be more cost effective!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts