3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I've been struggling with this problem ever since I bought the car, from a stop I get a hesitation and a fluction in RPM. I'm thinking it sadly has something to do with the transmission now, because I cannot seem to find any issues with the engine. There are no misfires or MAF issues. I'm going to drop the trans pan soon and do a filter change is there anything I could maybe see with the pan off that is a known problem on these cars? I'm still having a hard time thinking its a trans issue at only 115k though. Any help is appreciated, thanks

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
I'd just check the fluid color/smell on the trans dipstick. It'll be a little dirty against a white rag, but shouldn't smell burnt. The extra grit from years of wear is actually help for the grip internally, up to a point, so fresh fluid/filter without an issue isn't always the best move.

A good thing to get would be a Bluetooth OBDII scanner to monitor things a bit better. It may help direct your troubleshooting for under $15 on Amazon.

I'd try hitting it with some MAF cleaner for $6-7 (will need to pull sensor from TB with T20 security torx, I believe). You can also check the plugs for consistent coloring, no smell of excess fuel/coolant, and put fresh ones in for under $20-30. The top-end can be checked for vacuum leaks, and all lines/hoses for cracks in rubber or plastic. If it has original black plastic intake manifold gaskets, those are highly recommend to change out for the updated aluminum ones. Also, a fresh fuel filter is great to do every couple oil changes, if you're a Series 2 car. Fuel cleaners are always nice to run once in a while, too, along with not running very low in the tank often, to not push dirt into your pump/injectors.

As you can tell, recommendations can be all over the place, and not a bad idea to go thru and knock each of them out for a maintenance routine, as well.

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
85 Posts
can you describe the hesitation? is it:
  • increase in RPM but you don't go anywhere or you slowly accelerate? This can be slipping 1st gear
  • chuggle while accelerating? this can be MAF related
  • slip / bang where you don't move, then the trans "slams" into gear and you go normally? this is trans input clutch piston leakage

·
Registered
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can you describe the hesitation? is it:
  • increase in RPM but you don't go anywhere or you slowly accelerate? This can be slipping 1st gear
  • chuggle while accelerating? this can be MAF related
  • slip / bang where you don't move, then the trans "slams" into gear and you go normally? this is trans input clutch piston leakage
More of a chuggle but I've already replaced maf and because of a code I was getting. I also have replaced the upper intake manifold and gasket. The rpms will go up and down as I accelerate until I get to 2nd gear then its not as noticeable. The problem also does not appear when I am giving it more throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts