3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I everyone i have a
01 Pontiac firebird V6 3.8l manual wanted to see if I can get help
Iam looking into tuning my firebird but don't know whar things I need in order to connect it to my laptop i already have the file for a stage 1 tune.stuck looking for the rest to do the tune.

I any help will work thanks 馃憤

Administrator
What is the file type, and what vendor is it from that says "stage 1" (that's a pretty vague term that could mean anything from minor adjustments to rev/speed limiters, to major changes in spark/fuel tables, to "gonna blow your motor up/bog it down cuz it's got crazy setting changes by a hack" in there)?

Typically, people get HPTuners nowadays for these cars, as it's pretty straightforward and still updated on the software/hardware regularly (far from perfect and costs about $350 to start, but works well enough). There's some legacy tuner cables like DHP PowrTuner (GM V6 specific, but updates stopped 15yrs ago, so new installs are not simple, and bugs still exist that'll never be fixed), or EFILive, TunerCat, etc which are much less popular outside some small circles, so less feedback available.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea was looking into that jet stage 1
But gonna install the intake and a exhaust .. the person that owned the car before me deleted the cats on it does it effect the car in any way

Administrator
I've known about EFILive, although it's one of those niche ones that mostly gets used by older programming bros and pre-OBD guys. Not familiar with the rest, so help with mapping things on our files will be less available.

Deleting the cat isn't a big deal (as long as it doesn't go into the rear O2 test mode GM started around 2001 that dumps a bunch of fuel, and needs to be addressed one of a couple ways), and intake/exhaust changes won't get the PCM too far off its adjustability range for stock settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts