3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my block totally stripped down with the exception of the 2 inner main caps and the crank (duh). I'm assuming they're press fit in or something b/c they suck to get out. I got the front and rear off by wobbling them loose then getting some speaker wire below them to pull them out, but the middle two have no room to move at all due to the crank. I've tried using the main bolts to grab the lip inside the holes to get them out (as suggested to me on clubgp), but it hasn't worked for me. I see GM has a pair of J tools that are supposed to be made for this job though although I don't understand how they work.

So my question is, how is everyone getting their main caps off (yes I know the front 3 are 4 bolt mains). Do I need to buy the J tool pair, and if so can I just buy them from a dealership or what? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you can carefully tap the end of the crank upward with a piece of wood and a hammer without any slack between the two in order to the main cap to come up slightly

·
Registered
174 Posts
golfwren said:
you can carefully tap the end of the crank upward with a piece of wood and a hammer without any slack between the two in order to the main cap to come up slightly

yeah thats what we did, friend of mine, used a big pair of plyers and grabbed the main cap tightly and just wiggled slowly until they came out, but light tapping with the wood on the crank is the best, make sure its a rubber mallet, little easier on the wood, dont wanna get splinters now

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe the middle two have crossbolts from the side of the block. I am not sure if thats what u meant by 4 bolt main, I have not torn one of these engines apart yet. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I'll have to try that with the wood, I hadn't thought of that. And yeah, thats what I meant by 4 bolt main was with the crossbolts. Thanks

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy,

There is a kent-moore tool that is used to extract the main caps. If you don't have this tool, you can carefully
remove them using methods in previous posts, just be careul and remove any marks you create.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you happen to know how much the tool costs to remove the mains? The manual reccomends the J 41348 with the J 6125-B attached, anyone know what these cost by chance?

·
Registered
174 Posts
bumpin96monte! said:
Do you happen to know how much the tool costs to remove the mains? The manual reccomends the J 41348 with the J 6125-B attached, anyone know what these cost by chance?
i was quoted like 180 bucks for the tool

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that seems like a ton of money for how simple the tool looks. Still haven't tried the wood block yet, too many exams lately, but I'll post and let everyone know how it works out.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hey another way that might help do it.

If the engine is supported in a engine stand ( the type that lets you rotate the block 360 degrees )
Have the blocik in the up right position before trying to knock the ends of the crank with wood and hammer.
Puts some thing under the crank to catch it from dropping all the way out.
About an inch below or so as to not let it drop to far suddenly.
Maybe some plastic milk crates ( or some thing simular ) with a layer of soft foam and rags to cushion it.
This way the weight of the crank and gravity will help it drop down as well. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sounds like a good idea as well, I'm going to cut some wood up tonight and give it a try, all these ideas sure help tho.

·
Registered
6 Posts
rubber mallet and some cussing got mine out. worked out pretty good :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts