3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is the correct section for this issue.

I am in the process of replacing the valve cover, UIM, LIM & head gaskets on my '98 GP GT coupe, NA.

The one thing stopping me from removing the rear (left) exhaust manifold & head is the EGR bracket. The bracket has 3 bolts connecting it to the head. It's the bolt that connects the EGR pipe to the exhaust manifold & head that I'm having a hard time with.

The bolt is pointed towrds the firewall at a downward angle and difficult to see. By feel & a mirror, I'm thinking this is either a 10mm or 3/8th, neither which have been succesful for me. Also the angle & tight space make it nearly impossible to get a ratchet in place.

Does anyone know what size this bolt is and what's the key to getting to it? Or would it be possible to disconnect the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold once the exhaust manifold is removed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully this is the correct section for this issue.

I am in the process of replacing the valve cover, UIM, LIM & head gaskets on my '98 GP GT coupe, NA.

The one thing stopping me from removing the rear (left) exhaust manifold & head is the EGR bracket. The bracket has 3 bolts connecting it to the head. It's the bolt that connects the EGR pipe to the exhaust manifold & head that I'm having a hard time with.

The bolt is pointed towrds the firewall at a downward angle and difficult to see. By feel & a mirror, I'm thinking this is either a 10mm or 3/8th, neither which have been succesful for me. Also the angle & tight space make it nearly impossible to get a ratchet in place.

Does anyone know what size this bolt is and what's the key to getting to it? Or would it be possible to disconnect the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold once the exhaust manifold is removed?

Thanks!
Did you ever get this done? I'm having the same problem, I wasn't even aware that it was pointed down, so I'm looking at the bottom of the bolt??

·
Administrator
1,472 Posts
There's a 10mm bolt coming in from the back, similar to the rest of the flange bolts holding the manifold to the head.

I've had luck using a 10mm GearWrench snuck down inside the curved pipe to get on it, or a 1/4" drive socket (preferably 6-point, not 12), with maybe a short 3" extension to place the ratchet just beyond the piping mess. Either way, you'll want to both coat it in PB or WD before starting, and use your choice of added leverage to turn the bolt at the start (double wrench trick, something over the ratchet handle, etc.).

Not sure how you found that old post, be feel free to start new topics for currently active folks to have a more consistent chance of getting responses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts