3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure where else to post this, so i'll try in here.

i bought a new oil cap for my car, it's one of the mobil1 caps. it's one of the half-twist fits, just like the one that is stock on my car (01 impala LS), but the groove is a little different on the cap and it fits upside down. im trying to figure out first of all, the piece that the cap screws in to, what is that called? i want to find another piece that is going to fit into my engine, and fit the oil cap so it is right-side-up. what cars might have the correct piece that i need?

if you go to my web page, and scroll all the way to the bottom, i have pictures of the piece and how it fits. thanks for the help.

http://home.earthlink.net/~impala2001/pictures.htm

-richard

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Richard I assume you are refering to the oil cap extension tube?

I would imagine if you started teh cap 180 degress from where you have it now that it woudl fit right side up. i have never seen one that is upsidedown.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I would say that the cap would have to change. The neck and the original cap will only insert upside down and turn 180* to right side up. You can not make it work any other way. Does the Mobil 1 cap have a sticker or is it printed, just thinking they may have put the writing on upside down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, the oil cap extention tube (is that its what its called if i go searching for it)?. there's only one position to start the cap, then it turns halfway.. once it's on, its upside down. the cap is printed on, so i cant change it. i was just trying to find out if other model cars that use the same quick turn cap maybe have the thread that it goes onto in a different position, if you know what i mean. like, if on my car, the thread on the extention tube starts at the bottom, maybe another car has one that starts on the top, which would make the cap i have fit the correct way. any thoughts? thanks

-richard

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
If you take the neck off the valve cover the cap fits it the same way. This means that you would need a neck that is threaded one way for the valve cover and the other way for the cap. I doubt this exists. Solution... throw the cap away :D JK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts