3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a PB of 15.1 back in April at IDD5. Since then I took out my ported front manifold and replaced them with SLP headers. Now my EGR is not connected all the way, but my idle is fine and the car seems to be in good shape. (cept for the ticking from the crossover. :( ) Anyways, the best I could get at GPG was a 15.2. I got some blockoff plates for the EGR, and I am gonna do that this week. I have yet to tap my car to see if there are any differences yet, but Im gonna try that this week as well.

Now if I were to block the EGR, and remove the codes for it, will I see the 14 sec ets I am looking for?? Dont mean to rant, but just kinda annoyed at my cars peformance at GPG.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I should have checked it out at Miller's mod day, but how is the exhaust set up?

·
Registered
467 Posts
What size pipes? And how do the front 02 sensor crosscounts compare to the manifolds?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The slp dp is 3". and the ubend and res is 3". From the res back is still stock. The front o2 mounds kinda on the side a bit farther down than with the stock manifolds

·
Registered
467 Posts
First off, the 3" DP is killing velocity...not much you can do about that. You may want to try wrapping the exhaust a little. I would at least do the DP section. If you keep it hotter internally, it will improve velocity. I think your best bet is to put a venturi in behind the front 02 sensor, but getting the sizing right is a lot of trial and error, and those things are $40 a pop, plus it'd have to be welded in. The primary tube size on those headers is a little big for the NA V6, and it hurts scavenging. The NASCAR guys only run 1 1/2" primaries on 600 hp 350's, I believe those SLP's have 1 5/8" primaries. I'm personally not a big fan of any of the current headers for our cars, so I'm a little biased, but from battling some exhaust gremlins of my own have come to the conclusion that some sort of anti-reversion venturi, or band needs to be put behind the front 02 to get the power balanced right.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was gonna go with TOGs, but then I was talked down to SLPs. LOL. Im gonna tap hopfully tonight and let you know whats going on with the car. I also have a set of LS6 springs that need to go into the car. Valve float at 5800 RPMs isnt cool IMO.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ron Vogel said:
First off, the 3" DP is killing velocity...not much you can do about that. You may want to try wrapping the exhaust a little. I would at least do the DP section. If you keep it hotter internally, it will improve velocity. I think your best bet is to put a venturi in behind the front 02 sensor, but getting the sizing right is a lot of trial and error, and those things are $40 a pop, plus it'd have to be welded in. The primary tube size on those headers is a little big for the NA V6, and it hurts scavenging. The NASCAR guys only run 1 1/2" primaries on 600 hp 350's, I believe those SLP's have 1 5/8" primaries. I'm personally not a big fan of any of the current headers for our cars, so I'm a little biased, but from battling some exhaust gremlins of my own have come to the conclusion that some sort of anti-reversion venturi, or band needs to be put behind the front 02 to get the power balanced right.
I'm going to have to agree with Ron. From what I've read, the SLP headers are way too big for a N/A L36. Even the ZZP stroker car is running on S&S headers, which have 1 1/2" primaries and a 2.5" collector. I don't doubt that SLP headers are an improvement over stock manifolds, but I would think that they are far too big for a lightly modded GT. With the RT DP/Cat as my only exhaust mod I'm running consistent 14's at almost 92mph. I don't know why you aren't there yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I noticed on you member page for the IL club that you have a HVII. From what I've been reading lately, it's only a good mod while running rockers if you're still running maniflods...you lose way too much torque with headers. I would try taking that out to see if you run any better. Good luck breaking 14's!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, Wes and Van both run tog headers in their GTs. I saw her car in the new HPP for the women of the track shootout. I got a log of a 20mph run up to 90 IIRC Just gotta get it posted up now.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Fish give your car another chance. You are comparing 2 different tracks and 5 months difference in weather. Cordova was not preped well for us that day. I had bad 60' all day. Ron has some good advice there but i say hit the track again and see what happens. Look at your 60's and compair them. I mean if you pulled a 2.0 at IDD and then ran a 2.2 at GPG, well it hard to compair cause they were not the same launch. You get the idea.

Also double check to make sure your tranny dipstick is not bang on the headers or anything else that coudl give you false KR. definetly scan the car if you can too.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Alright, went out and scanned the car last night and this is what showed up. Im really liking those O2s better since I was only maxing 860s before IIRC. I also added plugs and wires when I did headers so that might have an effect. I was only getting knock at shift points. Those are the bleeps you see.

I dont wanna give up on the car, I just wanna get it running the way it was before. My 60s at Cordova and at Norwalk were the same. About 2.2-2.1. I suck at launching. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Fish said:
My 60s at Cordova and at Norwalk were the same. About 2.2-2.1. I suck at launching. LOL
Dont forget the temps were deferent from April to Sept. It sure wasnt 85 in april.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fish.

Remember that track blew. And the prep was very bad.

WHat were the 60 ft times? and also compare your 1/8 mile times.and trap speeds..

·
Registered
409 Posts
just to give you an idea what a track can do for you...

i ran 13.0 at IDD5

after going home, with no changes to the car,
the best i could get at New England dragway was 13.4

waite till IDD6 and see what happens :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts