3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I pulled the front head since I couldn't get any cylinders to hold pressure. When I pulled the head I checked the gasket and didn't notice anything wrong with it. They piston tops look good and the cylinder walls are smooth as can be. I figured since the cylinders and pistons look good timing must be ok. Any thing to check next? I ordered a set of replacement gaskets for the heads so now what??

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy,

I would verify correct valve timing. If cam is out of time, you could have valves opening when the piston is coming up. This would cause your symotom. It is also possible that an improper valve train component combination could be the cause. An example would be too long of a pushrod. Another possibility could be valves binding the guides and not closing all the way. Are heads stock, or were they worked by somebody? I have heard of some aftermarket camshafts having the lobes ground in the wrong positions which would also cause this.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an XP cam with 105 springs heads are otherwise stock. Pushrods are intense OR ones. I am going to check the timing just in case. I don't get that even with the rockers off I was still pushing air. After putting oil in the cylinder the amount that was coming from inside the crankcase diminished.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is a LONG shot but maybe your gauge isn't working properly??

·
Registered
116 Posts
swinginbeef said:
This is a LONG shot but maybe your gauge isn't working properly??
That would su** !!!! :eek:

Maybe a bent valve too...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Valves are ok. I am going to try coating the cylinder walls with oil, re-assemble with new plugs and check timing marks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock rockers, I pulled the cover which confirmed that it was in time, so I am really leaning just toward a spark plug issue. I am glad I pulled half the entire motor apart instead of taking my usual advice to check plugs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you couldn't get any cylinder to hold pressure, I don't see why a bad spark plugs would cause that... :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Too much fuel would wash the oil seal from the cylinder walls. We will find out if it was just plugs hopefully tomorrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts