3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm parking the car for the winter and will be installing heads onto the car.
my question is: what should i do while they are off?
I have ported heads, new valves etc going on but is there anything else that i could do that having the heads off would make it easier?
for the record i have the heads, intake mani (ported to heads, will port to my IC), will be re-routing my IC for a more 'race' set up (resivour in trunk) and that's all that i have planned. i will probably port my SC while its off as well.
i have a cam (S1) but i'd be lying if i hadn't thought of ripping the MOFO out for a stage 2 or XP (can i say that on here? :rolleyes: )

so lets here it guys i have an ichy finger to paypal tonite..lol

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy,

Depending on your level of head work, you may not be able to run a stage2 camshaft. The xp camshaft requires the same head work as the stage 2, although the vendor sells milled valve retainers and seals to create enough clearance to use that camshaft on unmodified heads.
My belief is that if it was acceptable to remove that material from the retainers, the manufacturer would have done it in order to bring a lighter retainer to the market. There is a reason that they haven't. We have had tremendous success with the stage 1x camshaft. it is far superior to your stage 1, even with 1.75 rockers. Good luckl with your build.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
441 Posts
Be sure to install all the other new acessories as well for long relyable life... New springs and valve seals, new timing chain and tentioner...

Amd don't re-use the torque-to-yield bolts, especialy the on the rockers... And ARP head bolts are a must IMO.

You might as well put a new water pump and hoses on it too, so you dont have to deal with it later... cheap insurance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overclock This said:
don't play Jay, get the IS3 cam cause you know you want the bap bap bap
with your intercooler, you should be in the 11's
Or atleast hit mid 13's in your case
LOL
j/k
smartass...

i'm tempted to just put these heads on another motor to build up...just don't tell the wife... ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
you might want to add new lifters, and if you were serious about switching cams now is the obvious time to do it, i believe everythign else you need has already been said

·
Registered
441 Posts
I agree, new cam should have new lifters (never used). Accelerated lobe wear is the risk.

Sometimes you can buy rebuild kits with new rollers and even seals... I havent seen those kits for 3800 lifters though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts