3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a n/s 3800 series 2 Vin K.
I noticed white smoke coming out of my tailpipe on my way to high school recently as well as a misfire. When I got it home 15 miles later it felt like I was driving a diesel with all the smoke that was coming out the tailpipe. I pulled the engine apart thinking it was just the upper intake manifold gasket and even though the one currently in the engine looked fine I replaced it. :icon_roll When that didn't work I tore the engine down to the lower intake gasket which also looked fine. At this point I'm thinking its got to be the head gasket or a cracked block. I've removed the spark plugs and cylinder 1,2,6 were covered in oil and 3,4,5 looked almost normal. Since its a V6 both head gaskets can't fail at once right? I'm burning oil and coolant crazy fast. Any advice would be helpful :thanks:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Very likely that the engine was extremely over heated at some point.

Oil fowling is either past the rings or the valves. More likely through the valve seals.

THe block has freeze plugs that would probably open under extreme pressure form ice or pressure. You would probably be leaking coolant.

If you remove the radiator cap with the engine running and warm, you will se bubbles in the coolant. Most likely there is head gasket failure and possibly a warped head...if from overheating.

Easier getting another engine put in from a salvage yard perhaps...sorry to hear

·
Registered
849 Posts
I guess I would take a closer look inside the upper intake's area around the EGR pipe that sticks thru. On both sides of this area are coolant passages to cool this. The gasket may be ok but what if those coolant passages are blown thru??

I say this because over the years at our shop we put a ton of these in for ruptured coolant ports..............

After the "fix", you need to also suck or soak up all the coolant/oil puddling in the lower manifold. You will need to pull all the plugs and crank over to blow the cyls empty. Do the cranking with "wide open throttle(this turns off the injector pulse during cranking). After all this is done and NEW plugs, start it up and hold a fast idle for a min or so till the cyls fire evenly and then idle.

have fun............ Jake

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Very realistic problem I haven't personally seen. I replaced the upper plenum in our van because of coolant leakage from warping. Easy to forget about the EGR pipe. I enjoyed deleting the EGR from my grand prix. I hated those ever since they were invented... sure beats having to pull the heads

·
Registered
612 Posts
If this was my vehicle I would have pull the heads off and check real close for signs of internal engine damage. The oil fouling concerns me.
Good Luck!

Reactions: fastech

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch guys! :icon_lol: I think I might just part it out at this point. It was for sale when the smoke appeared anyways. I wouldn't be so eager to start parting it out if the car didn't have a long list of other problems. Do you guys have any suggestions on high value parts inside the engine? I'm really sad to watch this engine/car go since it was my first. :icon_redf

Just to spark my curiosity I had no idiot lights come on while I was driving it and since the EGR valve is an emissions control item I would assume something would pop up right?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've seen problems happen with these engines and it not turn on any warning lights. Usually by the time a light comes on, it is way too late anyway. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts