3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, I am the complete moron on this site. Fine with me, but, I'm trying to get better. I have been reading as many of the forums as I can and have yet to be able to decipher the "klingon" speak that most use here. But, I can assure you that my stock pulley goes with my stock rocker-cam-pcm-thermo-farfignugan part. :)

So, I thought maybe this "idea" would help myself and other "newbies" learn more about our cars and mods.

I have a 99 GTP that I have replaced the stock air box with a K&N 7" cone. That is all (other than stereo).

If the "experienced" people on this board got together and decided to "mod-out" this car, what would they use/suggest and why?

Odds are, I am not going to do most of the mods, but, would like to know what they are and why I would want to do them.

Sound like a plan? Or, did some other newbie try this and you just pointed and laughed? Either way, it's cool by me.

Finally, sorry to the moderators of these forums. I didn't know where to attach this thread because there wasn't a "General Discussion" thread like I am used to on other boards.

Thanks in advance!

John

·
Banned
165 Posts
It depends a lot on where you want to take the car.

I guess I would ask you, "what are your goals for the car?" and then I could answer your question. :)

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Most of us start with removing the "u-bend" and resonator. The U bend is just after the cat, and the resonator is behind that. We do that for a more free flowing exhaust. The next most common mods are a smaller supercharger pulley, 180 themostat and one or 2 range colder spark plugs. The object with the t/stat and plugs is to reduce the occurance of knock retard. The smaller pulley(3.4 or 3.5") is for more power of course. A lot of folks also replace the down pipe on the exhaust with an after market pipe, this is for freer flow also. Then there is the aftermarket PCM, or powertrain control module. This changes the shift points, fuel table for more responsive throttle and removes the speed limiter. It does more, but I am not exactly sure what. But I like it. That is the basic stuff folks do, there is much more available depending on the level of performance and how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. To answer them in order.

1.(Excell) There really isn't any place that I want to "Take" the car. I would just like to learn more about what is available for the car and why/how it could help. If I had to pick a direction, I would probably like to get some more hp out of the engine while keeping good gas mileage (93 oct.) and a nice quiet to low car noise. Don't want to drown out the stereo after all. :)

2.(1Hot97) What is "knock retard"? I kinda understand the knock portion for the engine, but, are you calling me the retard or is that an actual term? Both are probably true. So, with these "standard" mods to the car, is there any one place or brand that you prefer or suggest? Trying to get an idea of pricing and labor.. etc.

Thanks again Excell and 1Hot97! I am starting to understand some of this stuff more.

John

·
Registered
409 Posts
when your engine sees knock, it retards the timing advance to alieviate the knock... this is knock retard... if you can get the car to the point of not having kr it will have more power.

standard mods are the basic 3.4 pulley, cold air intake, dp/ubend replacement

if you plan on makeing any serious power, i would suggest getting a modular pulley system instead of a press pulley and headers instead of a dp

and depending on how far you wanna go with the car i would recommend a cam from the start but rockers alone are a nice gain if you dont wanna get too far into it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Changing the exhaust is a necessary evil to going faster and making power so that will change the exhaust note and make the car louder. Not deffining loud but definetly louder. Some dont like that some do. I for one liek my car loud. So that is something else to think about.

My advice woudl be to read all you can here and learn about the car. Go to meets and meet other GPers and talk with them and listen to their cars and their problems and their sucesses. that way you can be better educated on where you want to take your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Merc said:
Changing the exhaust is a necessary evil to going faster and making power so that will change the exhaust note and make the car louder. Not deffining loud but definetly louder. Some dont like that some do. I for one liek my car loud. So that is something else to think about.

In changing the exhaust, would you also go ahead and change the exhaust headers?

I have always been of the opinion/impression that, if you have a 2" pipe coming off the headers to the Cat and then you put a 3" pipe from the Cat back, you are not helping the exhaust "system" very much because the engine can only get rid of 2" of exhaust instead of 3".

That correct? If so, wouldn't it be wise to just do the headers, downpipe, u-bend, and exhaust in one fail swoop?

John

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Most people go with a 3" DP to teh cat and then 2.5" from teh cat back to the Y pipe and them some stay 2.5 and some go to 2.25. Now this also depends on where you wnat to go with your car. I have 3" DP, no cat and 3" to the Y pipe and i believe 3" to the muffs but iw odul have to check that. So i am flowing much more freely than what i mentioned above. Do i need that at this stage? Dont know but it seems to work for me.

Yes it wodul be best if you can do your complete system at once but that will be expensive at once also.

Some like headers, some stay with stock manifolds and some even port their stock manifolds. I have headers and I wodul suggest headers over proted manifolds but that is me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I had it to do all over again...the first thing I would do is the exhaust work. It doesn't matter what you do to the motor, if you don't flow...you don't go.

I am also a person who doesn't like to do things 2 times (upgrade, then upgrade again)

My list would be:
1. Headers - SLP or TOG's
2. Exhaust - 2.5" or bigger (depending on long term plan) to the Y, then run Magnaflows or Ultraflows
3. Rear O2 deleted, cat deleted, ubend deleted by doing #2.

From there
FWI or CAI (Wizaired is my preference)

MPS - Nothing beats it...best bang for the buck mod in my opinion

PCM - 2nd best bang for the buck

Heads - This will take care of rockers, rods, springs, etc in one shot ( and improves the ability for the car to breathe )

SC/TB combo

Cooling system upgrades - Radiator, Water pump, etc.

IC

Then the bottom end if you are looking to get serious.

The Trans can be done at anytime...however I wouldn't do it until the trans dictates it or you decide you are getting serious about racing.

That's my humble .02

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like a good list to me Steve. However, I have 2 questions.

1. What is an MPS?

2. What kind of horsepower gains would each step produce?

Thanks again for your help.

John

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
MPS = Modular pulley system.

Gains are different on each car. there is no set formula or definet answer to that question. All are aprox.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
With the Intake you have and the addition of downpipe work, a pulley, 180 T-stat and colder plugs you would probably be looking at running 13.8 - 14.3. The wide range here being that we don't know how your car is running at it's current level and the fact that there seems to be several '99's running a bit quicker than normal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
mrbigles said:
Looks like a good list to me Steve. However, I have 2 questions.

1. What is an MPS?

2. What kind of horsepower gains would each step produce?

Thanks again for your help.

John
John,

An MPS is a modular pulley system. Instead of a pulley that presses on the blower shaft, there is a hub instead which allows you to bolt pulleys to it making changes easier. If you plan a progression of mods, you can drop sizes in pulleys as the mods will support. This also allows you to switch between two or three different sizes, so you can run a larger one for the street and better mileage and go to a smaller one if you take the car to the track. Some run one size daily and a smaller one at the track with 104 octane race gas to eliminate any KR with the extra boost.

Some mods are cumulative so it's hard to say exactly how much HP you will get with a certain configuration. With some of the basic exhaust mods like fixing the U bend and opening up the downpipe, adding a better intake, dropping to a 3.4 pulley, and going to a range colder plugs and a 180 thermostat, you can get 25 - 30 hp increase.

HTH (hope that helps)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Figure out how you want your car ,drop it off at Intense along with a blank cheque .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.