3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 GS and about a month ago my cousin and i put a new CV shaft and HUB bearing on my passenger side. i got the CV shaft from autozone and HUB bearing from my uncle at his dealership. the car has been in my garage since i put the new shaft and hub on because of snow and crappy weather. but today was actually nice enough to take it for a ride. The transmission was rebuilt recently so i know its not that but every time i go around a corner(turning left) it feels like my transmission is going out and slipping like crazy, yet when i turn right and accelerate pretty hard its all there and no slips or nothing. now its starting to leak by the inner shaft ? i already bought the seal for it but im stumped. could it be a bad CV shaft? :icon_conf

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
thats one possibility, but i had the same issue when turning when my trans was low on fluid

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Low on fluid wouldn't explain his leak tho, can you tell where it's coming from? Try jacking it up and cranking the wheel then let it sit for a while after you give it a good wipe down. Might help you narrow down what the cause is

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
have you checked to see if the seal on the diff case isn't leaking or is that what you replaced?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Get the car on a lift and try to get the retainer to clip in.
You might have to break it down again to get it to seat.
You changed the seal when you changed the axle right?
If not good chance it was damaged when the new seal went in if it was old and dry or not lubricated.

Those would be my guess,axle disengaging and fluid spilling after that work was just done.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a long story but it started out to be just a Hub bearing change and the moron that put the last one one(just got the car) stripped it so the nut for the hub wouldnt come off. my cousin and i cut bolt and shaft and bought a new one. i was in a rush and didnt buy the seal, it looks like its leaking from inside where the shaft slides in the transmission. when we put the cv shaft in it almost didnt feel right but nothing clicked or anything it just kinda popped in there and we thought it was done. it leaks very little driving normal and when its kinda cold. when i drive aggressive i can smell the trans fluid after i park the car in my driveway. i bought a timken seal and taking it to a professional to get looked at.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh forgot to mention. it didnt start leaking right away. the next day it did when i went to go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
best thing to do is unscrew the cv axle from the hub youll probably be able to loosley slide the axle out the diff because its not seated inside the diff. youll need to apply some force and push the cv axle in till it clicks in place. try to wiggle it out if dosent youll know its seated properly and then tighten it back down on the hub side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fixed the problem.. i looked up the part number and it was a drivers side shaft and i needed a passengers. the drivers side is one inch shorter so when i turned left somehow it popped out and back in. i got a new shaft put in today. the RIGHT one. its working great now :) im the dumbass for overlooking it and AUTOZONE are even more of dumbasses to get the wrong part messed up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.