3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blew out my harmonic balancer a few days ago.
Is there a way I skipped timing?
I should be able to put the socket on and crank the car to release it right?
Any other advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also if the harmonic balancer was about halfway gone when I bought the car (I think the EX owner knew).. would the rubber stretching effect boost or any performance?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Blew out my harmonic balancer a few days ago.
Is there a way I skipped timing?
I should be able to put the socket on and crank the car to release it right?
Any other advice is appreciated.
You will need to clamp the flywheel/flex plate securely so you can break loose the balancer bolt. Same process when re tightening back up. When you retorq the balancer, use some lube on the threads and washer for good even torquing.
PS, you might need a "puller" to remove the balancer. There should not be any changes to the timing during this process. Best of luck and It would also be a good idea to replace that balancer bolt during re assembly. Mr goodwrench.... Jake

·
Registered
60 Posts
The balancer center bolt ( first step) is often installed very tight and you may need a HD impact wrench to remove it. Autozone and other auto parts stores often have a tool loaner program and you can probably find a balancer puller there. The balancer must be pulled by bolting to the center member not pulled from the edges.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The way I did it was with a breaker bar. Place a impact socket on the bolt and the other end of the breaker bar on the ground with the handle on the front side, facing the balancer, the handle would be at the 4 or 5o'clock position. Pull the plug wires to prevent the engine from actually starting <--- important... Then get in and turn the key to start and release. One bump will usually break it loose. I've done it on numerous 3.8s without issue. Must be a breaker not a ratchet. Harbor freight 24" ½ drive breaker is what I use. Should fit snug. NEVER allow anyone near when bumping it. You never know where someone might stick their hands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts