3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am hoping that someone here can help me diagnose what may be wrong with my GT. Upon attempting to start the car this morning, the only way I can get it to run is if I step on the gas while turning the key in the ignition. As soon as I let my foot off the gas the car dies completely. As soon as the motor idles down, it dies. I am thinking a fuel delivery problem may be the issue, possibly the fuel pump. I would go with that instinct except that I always assumed if it was the fuel pump it wouldn't start in the first place.

Any input or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hey Joel,

Check your plugs for me would you? I know you've been a GT guy for awhile, but the ONLY time my L36 motor had that problem was when I let a leaky upper intake plenum go for too long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lee,

I will go ahead and check the plugs. What exactly do you want me to be looking for? I have a suspicion that my intake manifold is leaking slightly since I am throwing a P0171 lean code when I let the car idle.

What about possibly the fuel pump resistor being faulty?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Joel,

Checking the plugs should tell you if your burning coolant at all through the combustion chamber. Just take a peek and see what they look like. Interesting to see your throwing a lean code at idle. That was never something I experianced.

As far as the fuel pump resistor, I do not think so, IIRC L36 equipped cars pumps run on "high speed" only, so there is no resistor, also I believe in 2001 or 2002 they quit putting those resistors in, and the pumps run on high speed all the time.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Joel'

I would search for vacuum leaks as well. I have seen plenum bolts come loose, and have seen brake booster hose
fittings crack. Also a poorly sealed intake insert can be the culprit.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
77 Posts
temptme, give me an e-mail address and i'll send you the diagnostic work sheet for p0171, I'd post it in here but copy and paste dosen't work properly in this forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lee,

Plugs looked fine. Normal wear for the 10,000 miles since I had changed them. I'm currently running Autolite 605's.

Jeff,

I recently fixed my vacuum leak problem so that is not the culprit. There could be one elsewhere though.

The problem stopped occuring after I disconnected the MAF sensor and cleaned around it and reinstalled it. Hopefully that will be good enough!

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like that car all of a sudden became carborated :p . I would have to do the same thing to my old 86 Century before it would start. Hope you get the problem fixed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.