3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about putting a GT shortblock in my 99 gtp. :eek: I got a couple of questions tho. I realize that the GT stuff is not heavy duty but im ok with that. If i use the GT flexplate can you use a stock GT torque converter with my tranny? I asume that the motor mount and sensors have the same location. Also Id like to use a Intense stage 2 cam, I was wondering if that would be possible with this short block.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I believe that the GT has much higher compression that would not work well with forced induction. You might want to reconcider. Of course I've been wrong a hundred times and this could be one of them, but I'm fairly certain. Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you are planning on putting a complete GT engine w/o s/c in your car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
carlsgtp said:
Im thinking about putting a GT shortblock in my 99 gtp. :eek: I got a couple of questions tho. I realize that the GT stuff is not heavy duty but im ok with that. If i use the GT flexplate can you use a stock GT torque converter with my tranny? I asume that the motor mount and sensors have the same location. Also Id like to use a Intense stage 2 cam, I was wondering if that would be possible with this short block.

Thanks for the help guys.
If you are going to be installing a cam also I don't see any reason why the GT block's compression would be a problem. You may want to get a larger S/C pulley to test first. I am not sure of the differance in the GTP block and the GT block. All I do know is that it has been done before. Zooomer says he runs a stock GT short block in his car.

Greg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Greg I don't think he ever said it was stock. GT wrist pins do not handle boost/kr well. you have to remember that zoomer can rebuild/replace his motor after every race if he wants to. I wouldn't recomend using a gt bottom end. Plenty of people have distroyed gtp lowers and everyone knows thier stronger.

·
Registered
174 Posts
spd98 said:
Greg I don't think he ever said it was stock. GT wrist pins do not handle boost/kr well. you have to remember that zoomer can rebuild/replace his motor after every race if he wants to. I wouldn't recomend using a gt bottom end. Plenty of people have distroyed gtp lowers and everyone knows thier stronger.

cranks are the same, rods and pistons are different, heads are different, you can get past those you have nothin to worry about :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GT wrist pins do not handle boost/kr well.
Where did you hear that. I have seen a guy on clubgp, I think his name is "turbo tim". He has a 400hp GT motor. I know the GT stuff isnt as good as the GTP. Im just trying to figure out what direction to go. My motor has 141,000 and runs great, but I know its days are numbered. I thought about using a GT short block to gain a little HP but I cant make up my mind :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
8 Posts
well I dont think the compression is something to worry about Im going to be running 10:1 compression. I dont think the L36 bottom end is as strong as the L67 but maybe its just me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't see how the L67 bottom end is any stronger than the L36's. Sure the L67 is made for boost, but the ONLY thing different is the pistons/rods and flexplate, for the bottom end anyway. How many guys with turbos are running with L36 bottom ends? I think a good few are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lets see how long those cars last

·
Registered
48 Posts
How long are you expecting yours to last with that compression? I'm assuming you'll be running an M90 since you haven't said otherwise. If you are going to have an M90 on there, what size pulley, any IC, and are you going to be running race gas daily? They make a lot of heat, and what trans mods are you planning?

I was going to put an M90 on my GT since I have an L67 longblock in my garage, but decided not to because of the 9.4:1 comp. I was going to have to get 1.9 rockers, and an SS/IC to even attempt to run the M90 w/a 3.8" pulley with less compression than you'll be running. Then I was going to have to upgrade the tranny after that. I'm just curious as to how you're going to run with 10:1 comp. safely without any mentioned IC and minor headwork.

·
Registered
713 Posts
While this seems tempting because of the higher compression, it isnt the most reliable route to go. If you want to run a higher compression, I strongly recommend aftermarket pistons, just for piece of mind. It can be done, and I'm sure many people have, but I dont feel it is a good way to get power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope my car lasts with the compression.... Yes Im running an m90 with some minor port work. Im starting out with the 3.4 pulley and going from their. I hope I will be able to run 3.25 or 3.0 at the track. No I/c, gonna run 93-94 octane daily. heads, 3 angle valve job. My trans build, raybestos clutches, lsd gen 2, bulletproof input shaft, hi stall tq, intense billet flexplate, shift kit med. I hope she lasts, I really do, I really dont think there is anything wrong with the l36 block. I could have built one I guess but I stuck with the L67 block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guys thanks for all the replies. I have decided to push my luck and get a whipple. Its not that I dont think the l36 bottem end would hold up, I just chose boost over compression.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I will be running a 9.5:1 compression INTENSE race block with a HIGH boost Stattama turbo kit and everyone I have talked to, vendor or private, has said it will be fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Umm, you have an intense race block, with i'm guessing a forged bottom end. The turbos don't make anywhere near as much KR as an M90 does, either. So yeah, you will be fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stock L36 shorties are 9.5
Stock L67 shorties are 8.5

If YOU are really that worried about the compression, get some thicker gaskets. Those should knock it down a tenth.

67 Guys running 8.5 w/ thinner gaskets....8.6-8.7
36 Guys running 9.5 w/ thicker gaskets....9.4-9.3

The difference shouldnt be enough to lose sleep about, unless the power increase is the cause.

Just get your **** done right with the supporting mods..cam, ic (SC or Turbo) and you should be on your way to a solid motor.

GL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts