3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MP112 has always been a bit noisy because of the metal coupler, but yesterday I noticed a sound that worries me. The new sound sounds like grinding metal on metal like a bearing is going bad. The sound is much less off idle. I plan to remove the SC belt before driving the car becaue it sounds so bad.

Can I remove the snout without removing the whole blower? (blower sealed to the IC)

If I remove the snout, can I get to the bearings?

What sort of damage can occur if I drive the car with bad SC bearings?

Thanks guys!

Scott
INTENSE Regal GS

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dr. Speed said:
My MP112 has always been a bit noisy because of the metal coupler, but yesterday I noticed a sound that worries me. The new sound sounds like grinding metal on metal like a bearing is going bad. The sound is much less off idle. I plan to remove the SC belt before driving the car becaue it sounds so bad.

Can I remove the snout without removing the whole blower? (blower sealed to the IC)

If I remove the snout, can I get to the bearings?

What sort of damage can occur if I drive the car with bad SC bearings?
I would get a scope, or a screwdriver, and check out the SC and see if you can't find where the noise is coming from. I don't know the MP112 setup but I know you can pull just the snout off an M90 car, but not the rotors. If the rotor pack bearings are bad you are going to have to get another set from Magnuson. Those bearings are PITA to change out and you also have to make sure your rotors are timed perfectly when you press the gears back on them. Then there are 2 more in the housing and IIRC those are easy to replace in a MP112 and they should be the same as the M90 bearings and I have some if you need them. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave! I pulled the pulley off today and there is surprisingly very little play in the snout. I'll be putting in a call to Magnuson as soon as I can squeeze it in. It sounds like I will need to send the whole blower to them if I want it looked at. I'll see what they have to say. Thanks again for the input and for offering the bearings. I'll let you know what happens.

Scott
INTENSE Regal GS

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Scott havent been able to find much of a diagram but i did find this.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/drives.htm

Looks like an extension drive so that leads me to believe that you can remove the snount on the MP112 just liek the M90.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Merc! I looked at the link then decided to e-mail tech support. I know they are on Pacific time, but I still have a hard time squeezing in a call to them during the daytime. Hopefully, they'll help me with a plan of attack. I'll post whatever plan they recommend to see what you guys think.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.