3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2000 Grand Prix GT was a steal 1100 for 114k miles. Gonna put a new radio in, but I need to know what harness adpaters fit, I heard this one is different cause there is antitheft hooked from the radio, anyone know which one for sure works? Links to the product would be great, thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don’t use the adapters that you buy pre made. They always cause problems. Just get a wiring diagram and cut and hard wire it. The security feature I believe can just be looped or omitted with an aftermarket stereo head unit.
That’s what I’ve done for around 20 years and it’s never caused a problem, those adapters though I have seen a few catch fire and torch a car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t use the adapters that you buy pre made. They always cause problems. Just get a wiring diagram and cut and hard wire it. The security feature I believe can just be looped or omitted with an aftermarket stereo head unit.
That’s what I’ve done for around 20 years and it’s never caused a problem, those adapters though I have seen a few catch fire and torch a car.
I don't like doing that just cause if someone wants to put in a different radio down the line when I sell it they have a mess. Me and my friends have never had a problem with the harness adapters we use the metra branded ones.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ve done competitive stereo installs as a hobby for 20 years and you’re the first person I’ve ever encountered that hasn’t had issues.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
The issue with most aftermarket harnesses is the thin wiring and cheaply mass produced crimps/connectors they come with. You can see how minimal copper there is when stripping ends for solder/crimp work. This can cause heat that may become a bigger issue (as J.Knight mentioned), along with poor contact at connections or premature deterioration inside bends.

That said, I've certainly purchased/used a few aftermarket relay harnesses and others, but tend to check actual gauge thickness and sometimes reinforce connections.

You can also hit a junkyard and get a male/female end of the harness, and build an adapter that'll connect to your new setup using OEM components up to the head unit connection. I've done this to build custom I/C pump & trailer harnesses for my GTP before, getting both sides of the ICM and tail lamp harnesses at a junkyard, and flipping them around to connect and splice off wires for auxiliary use. Slightly different scenarios, but you get the idea. Just think about all the options, brainstorm (here or with others), and go with your best option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The issue with most aftermarket harnesses is the thin wiring and cheaply mass produced crimps/connectors they come with. You can see how minimal copper there is when stripping ends for solder/crimp work. This can cause heat that may become a bigger issue (as J.Knight mentioned), along with poor contact at connections or premature deterioration inside bends.

That said, I've certainly purchased/used a few aftermarket relay harnesses and others, but tend to check actual gauge thickness and sometimes reinforce connections.

You can also hit a junkyard and get a male/female end of the harness, and build an adapter that'll connect to your new setup using OEM components up to the head unit connection. I've done this to build custom I/C pump & trailer harnesses for my GTP before, getting both sides of the ICM and tail lamp harnesses at a junkyard, and flipping them around to connect and splice off wires for auxiliary use. Slightly different scenarios, but you get the idea. Just think about all the options, brainstorm (here or with others), and go with your best option.
Actually like that idea think I'll do that, I've just seen too many factory harnesses cut up, and a lot of the time its a mess cause of so many previous owners reinstalling and uninstalling stereos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve done competitive stereo installs as a hobby for 20 years and you’re the first person I’ve ever encountered that hasn’t had issues.
Well you certainly have a lot more experience than me, I've only been doing it for 2 lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sometimes it’s better to do what’s best for your usage and who cares about the next guy. If they don’t like it make it their problem.
I’m also used to being the final owner of cars. 403k on my E46. 266k on my Monte. And 225k on my Volvo suv. All in pristine condition but high mileage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts