3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

Right now I am running intense 1.9 Generation I rockers, and I am going to have them removed and have a cam installed. My question is what do i need to replace if I go with a stage I cam, just go back to my stock rockers and get 105LBS valve springs or do I need something else?? I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS, L36 engine. with SLP intake and flowmaster exhaust, no reonator or u-bend.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
mike3800gtp said:
when i installed my cam, i used intense gen3 adjustable rockers. these allow you to use a thicker head gasket
I have not heard that reasoning yet.

If you are installing the stage 1 cam yes you will need to go back to teh stock ration of 1.6. You can get aftermarket rockers in that ratio or use the stock ones. also for the cam install i woudl get a cam install package with new timing chain and gaskets and eveything else you need.

Also why not the S1X over the S1?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are yu doing with your ER's?

Are you keeping them? If you plan on selling them I would def be interested! Would they fit in my Maro? Anybody know?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going back to my stock 1.6 rockers and I will be selling my ER's once that cam is in, My real question is, Can I still use all my other stocks parts without any issues..I.E.... Springs, Lifters, Valves, and rods.?????

Should I upgrade anything else with the cam, My car only has 5000Miles on it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
you lifters and valves will be fine. i would upgrade the springs to 105# and the pushrods to the OR ones. Since you are there and you have to take off the rockers and springs anyway i woudl do that.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Howdy all,

If you install a 1x camshaft, 105# springs and either steel or preferably titanium retainers will be mandatory. This camshaft reaches the valve lift ceiling for stock heads, so 1.6 rockers are also mandatory. Stock rockers are
fine for the r.p.m. limit of this camshaft, however it is adviseable oil restricted
pushrods NOT be used with stock rockers. Stock pushrods or a non-restricted
aftermarket rod is acceptable with stock rockers.

BIG JEFF

·
Banned
361 Posts
If you install a 1x camshaft, 105# springs and either steel or preferably titanium retainers will be mandatory.
I have the ZZP milled retainers:

"The Valve Spring Retainers have been modified to give an extra .030 clearance to the valve seal. They are required when using the XP cam on stock heads. They weigh in at 10.8 grams making them 16% lighter than the comp steel retainers."

Do you know if they are also made out of steel? What are the stock one made out of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So are you taking out 1.9s or ER rockers? They aren't the same...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gotcha.... I'm about to install a cam too, but I have to find somebody local to help me (I'm not doing it alone). I'll probably get LS6 valve springs to go with it (possibly LW pushrods, but I'm not sure). Anybody live in the Southeast (near Baton Rouge, LA) and want to help me install it?? ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one more question, my buddy has a 2001 C5 Vette, that he has just upgraded his springs and lifters. Can I use his valve Springs and Retainers from his car. I need to know, do I need anything else from him but the Springs and Retainers????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts