3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 1988 Fiero GT with a 3800 SC motor and full stack intercooler from ZZP. Planning to install a Gen V blower (brand new, 0 miles) and will be buying a new stage 2.5 intercooler from ZZP for this. I also have a Northstar TB that will be getting transferred over

My questions are as follows

-is there any point in polishing the internals of a Gen V blower? I was told by a turbo/supercharger rebuild shop that it is pointless and doesn't make any noticeable difference?!

-should the intake manifold get ported?

-What is the recommended pulley I should start with? My current Gen III has a 3.0 pulley with no issues, and I am keeping the same bottom end

Thanks for any suggestions.

-

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
No need to touch the GenV for anything to upgrade, you'll see the benefit of the stock 75mm opening that's a direct flow fit for the N* TB. Gen3's used to get ported just to look like the OEM GenV. Just make the intake manifold opening match the intercooler core opening.

I'd start with the same pulley, and mess with the tune as it sits. There will be a slight difference in airflow that you'll want to get a handle on, first. You can also tinker with other settings to optimize the tune as you go along.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey Dave. Per your advice, I will start with the same size (3.0) Pulley on the Gen 5 blower. I ordered the modular pulley kit from ZZP, 2.5 intercooler, gaskets, and plan to get the L32 LIM ported to match the intake gasket for the IC.

So there is nothing to polish or port on the inside of the Gen 5 blower?

Car has an XP Cam, headers, and I believe better valve springs than stock (not sure- not my build). Looking for about 300-330 WHP at most, since it is a standard transmission F23 so I don't want to risk blowing it up.

I actually "like" the sounds of the supercharger whine when I hammer the gas. Someone mentioned filling in silencer ports in the blower?

Thanks again for the any advice

·
Administrator
1,396 Posts
Nah, cleaning up the inlet of the blower won't really net you anything, and messing with the outlet is NOT recommended (you'll hear it plenty). I was able to get over 330whp with my GenV, X-P setup with just some 100 octane and L36 block. It's a great setup, and with an I/C, you should have the potential to do plenty, and it'll most likely shred the manual in due time, as any good running 3800 does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts