3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone :rolleyes: were to get a low mileage tranny and put 3:29 gears will the tranny last a good amount of time?

·
Administrator
3,246 Posts
Rgvbeast said:
If someone :rolleyes: were to get a low mileage tranny and put 3:29 gears will the tranny last a good amount of time?
You will be taking your chances with a stock trans and a modified GP. If you beef the trans up a bit before installing it (higher strength shafts etc..) it should serve you well. If you want to continue to mod, and your replacing your trans because its getting on in age you may just want to have yours reconditioned with stronger parts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
lyinlow867 said:
Is there any write ups about rebuilding or upgrading the trans?
I just bought a tranny rebuild manual ( ATSG ) and rebuilt my tranny..it's not as hard as you might think...al you need is patience and tools. ;)

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy all,

Let me first say that gearing changes are not a durability upgrade unless you switch to a single chain setup.
There are many other components that have to be addressed in order to build a piece that can take the whoopin that you monkeys put on a trans. Torque converter
and turbine shaft are most important.
Driving habits, and tuning scenarios are factors when
trying to determine the life of a transaxle. With all of this said, it is really a crapshoot to try to assign a lifespan to a transaxle.

BIG JEFF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts