3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a MSP CAI with a 9" K&N, and I love it. I am thinking of going to a FWI, but I heard that there could be a performance loss. What is the truth to this?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ah the old CAI vs FWI/LRI debate. I think that I'm safe in saying that as many people will say the CAI is better as the others half saying the FWI/LRI is better. Most people just need to justify either spending the money for a CAI and saying that it is better or not spending and saying a FWI/LRI is better. I don't think that it would be really much of a difference either way, honestly. It just depends on if you want to spend the money or not. Some people like the looks of a CAI thinking that the FWI/LRI looks getto, and that makes it worth there while to spend the money on it. Others that are on a tight mod budget like the looks of a lower time on a slip because they made a FWI/LRI for $60 and had enuff money left over to get a smaller pulley and a little bit of exhaust work done for the fsame price as a CAI. If anyone agrees/disagrees here then let hear it.
Tate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fill me in, but I thought a FWI was a CAI anyway, because you are sucking in cooler air than engine heat. Personally my intake is mounted behind the bumper, but in front of the left driver tire so it's sucking up air from below. Isn't this "cold" air?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since your already have a nice CAI. I'd just stick with that.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
CAI vs FWI are like Tastes Great vs Less filling debates. I have had the MSP cai and i loved it. I now have a FWI and i love it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm building my 4" FWI as we speak! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
4.in. intake

Hi all.I run a 4 in. intake and a 4 in. rubber adapter that is 4 in. on both ends and has stanless steel around the hole rubber with 2 clamps.One week ago I took the 4 in. rubber adapter off and put on the same one that raflyers as on in his home page that djclark posted.I started to lose power from what i was getting and me not thinking did not know why.So when I saw the post by NICETRY about the 4in. down to 3in.I start to think maybe I better go back to my other rubber adapter so i did and my power is back.The whole rubber adapter like the one that djclark is using got very hot and so did the 4in. pvc pipe i have on and i have it thermal raped to.The one I im running now dose not get as hot nor dose the pvc pipe.The adapter I im running now fits over the thin lip on the throttle body.It seems to clamp down good and solid.The reason I went to the other adapter like djclarks was because it looked better and seemed to fit better.I don't know if it was the heat or the 3in. that took away my power but it is back now and im happy lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I started off with the K&N open cone and PFYC plastic piece...whoa...sounded good, performance was awful. Then I switched to an MSP...had good results with that, no complaints.

I switched to an INTENSE FWI with a 4" K&N RE-0870 cone and wish I'd have done it that way in first place. <$90 and an awesome way of getting lots of cool air in the car. :)

I miss it, hope Merc is enjoying it! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I dont know if you have flooding at all in your area.. but let me be the first to say I do and wanted to trhow my FWI in the garbage about 2 or 3 months ago.

I live in Fl. and with the 45 thousand hurricanes we've had, I had some serious water on the way to my house, night time made it difficult to see and before I knew it I was going waaay too fsast in faaay too much water!

Car stalled, deader than dead.. Wouldnt start back up for the longest time.. Finally did, had to keep my foor barried in it to keep it from dying.

It ran like crap for about 1/2 a day, all is well now, but it wouldnt have happened if I didnt have a cone sitting 3-4 inches above my lower facia.. wich is only a few inches off the ground. :)

Now i have too much crap in the engine compartment to go to a box, but if I could, I probably would. I just have to try to waterproof my inner fender as much as possible.

G

·
IMO a FWI is best for SCed cars since you can get the coldest air possible, but on an NA the curves probably make too much of a restriction.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fwi

I have the FWI and I was thinking about making it out of PVC or some other pipe like that because of the smooth wall and such but instead went with some custom tubing from Intense Racing for a few reasons. First, it's important to try to stay away from 90 degree bends and such. If I remember right, a 90 degree bend equals about the same amount of resistance as a 130" or so of straight tubing. Also, I thought it would probably be more important to go with the 3.5" tubing than the 4" tubing and have the air go straight into the TB instead of going with the 4" - 3.5" reducer coupler. This adds resistance to the system and also creates disturbance in the air flow creating voids and possibly turning a pretty laminar flow into a turbulant flow.

Those are the reasons I chose to do what I did.

3.5" - 3.5" coupler
3' of 3.5" custom air ducting
9" K&N cone filter
Some wire to extend the IAT sensor into the fender well

Nick

http://people.msoe.edu/~oblamskn/GTP/Pictures/Mods1/mod1engine/mod1engine4.jpg

http://people.msoe.edu/~oblamskn/GTP/Pictures/Mods1/newintake/intake6.jpg

·
Registered
139 Posts
do a dyno before and after.
Find out what it does for you and where you gain/lose hp&tq and decide if it's best for you.
it's just an intake anyways.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just thought I'd post some pics of my intake now that my server is back up...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just A Note on the "Fusion orange metallic".

I also own a 04' GTP Comp-G. Paint code "U 913 L" actually needs to be put in to a color search program as "WA 913 L". When you do this you will recieve the factory paint formula- Sunburst orange metallic 2- of which there are no variant paint chips, just the "standard". I have painted the trim rings on my Infiniti Kappas, and the paint is a "dead-on match" If mixed correctly. Just some helpful (maybe) info for those of us who own the color that scratches if you "look at it wrong!".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.