3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got an old Buick with a supercharged 3800 series motor that’s front wheel drive. I was planning on putting it into a 85 rx7 but I don’t know if the front wheel drive motor can bolt up to any rear wheel drive transmissions, can I use a fwd motor for a rwd application? And what transmissions can I use if I can? Any help would be great thank you.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
The 4L60e auto and T5 manual from 95-02 Camaro/Firebird V6's were bolted to 3800 engines in RWD configuration. You can also buy adapter plates with this "60 degree V6 FWD" bolt pattern converted to the standard SBC pattern to run a normal GM transmission from V8 applications.

Shop around and see what you like for an option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 4L60e auto and T5 manual from 95-02 Camaro/Firebird V6's were bolted to 3800 engines in RWD configuration. You can also buy adapter plates with this "60 degree V6 FWD" bolt pattern converted to the standard SBC pattern to run a normal GM transmission from V8 applications.

Shop around and see what you like for an option.
Ok so would a t5 or a 4l60 bolt up to my rwd motor? Or do I need a adapter plate?

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
The bell housing from the V6 F-body has the FWD bolt pattern. I'd just build one from a core you can get anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok would I be able to make an adapter plate so I could run my manual transmission from the rx7?

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
You can adapt it to anything you want, if you do the work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The transmissions from the later 4 cylinder S10's have the same bolt pattern as the fwd 3800 and the starter is on the correct side. I'm struggling to figure out the intake. Any source for Holden intakes?

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
I'd go for the F-body intake to make things simpler.

Yes, the 4L60's had two bolt patterns, the regular SBC V8 style and the FWD pattern for smaller engines, specifically the 3800 F-body and probably those 4cyl trucks. They had their own full case when the early ones were 1-piece designs, but the later (98+?) Got a separate bell housing that can be swapped as needed, between the two. Just gotta get a converter/flexplate/input shaft that's setup correctly, which is why basing it off the 3800 Camaro/Firebird as your reference keeps things simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts