3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm fairley sure that it is my fuse box, but I was woundering if any one else has had this problem. It started about a month ago. I just finished installing my IC core. I had the car running for a few mins then it just died...? I tried to restart it but nothing. I had the hood up and started looking for any loose wires I bumped the fuse box and it started to turn over so I wiggled it some more and it started up.?:hmmmm: Everything was fine for a few weeks then one morning I tried to start the car up and nothing! The lights came on, and I just replaced the alternator a few months back. A few turns of the key and it started up just fine. Then last Friday I was driving to work and lost all power. I pulled over to the side of the road put it in nutral and turned the key and it started back up again. This has happened to me about 4 or 5 times now. If I move the fuse box the car will short out and loose power. Is it a connection or do I need to replace the fuse box? And is a fuse box hard/expensive to replace? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ground looks fine, Already checked that. Could it be a loose wire going to the fuse box? I've never had a fuse box apart before so I don't know what all is involved. I don't thing there is anyway to scan it because when the car is running there is no problem and it doesn't throw a code when it shorts out.
HELP!!!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, so I got a fuse box from Ed and installed it last night. So far everything seems to be doing fine. It started right up and didn't short out when I hit the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Good! Those problems can be a real bugger.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Did you ever take your fuse box apart? I'm trying to take mine apart but I can't figure out how it comes apart.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I did was unscrew the "grids" (for lack of technical term) on the back of the fuse box and swap them out. I've never actually dissected it. ;) I have high tech mechanic book for these cars at home. I'll check in there and see if it says how to take it apart. Check back later.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
okay let me know

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the only thing that is in the GM tech book is to unconnect the wiring harness to the junction ("fuse") box. It doesn't go into detal about taking apart the fuse box. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I kind of figured. They have this fuse box sealed quite well. Probably for waterproof purposes. I can't even pry it open with a screwdriver...

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Damn, it won't let me add to your reputation, because I have already....?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for the try! I think I gave you one a while back too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have found that once you take the 3 blocks off the back you will see 3 flat peices of metal they screw into if you remove those you can get the fuse box apart. Thats what i did to try to make wiring easier.

The only issue is that you most likly will break the plastic and cant get it together right and there isnt anything to do inside. Its one big grid with solid metal connecting all the fuse points really cant be change any. Anyway thought id tell you about it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts