3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 97 GP with the n/a 3800 in it. I have tried six times to replace a section of fuel line damaged by a tree limb i hit on the highway. Not one retailer has been able to provide the correct part. The area of concern is from the fuel filter (somehow didn't snap that plastic connector) and the next 10 inches moving to the front of the car. I Had the replacement filter in my trunk when the incident occured and i thought i would be on my way in no time after visiting a local parts store. The car has sat for about a week and i have had incompetent people tell me to just junk the car. I know they make repair kits (doorman) however the threaded brass colored fuel fittings from this company do not fit, in fact they are much smaller. I have double checked to make sure the parts counter guy ordered the correct year,engine,ect. Any home brew ideas besides JB weld?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would say replace the fuel line with nylon fuel lines. Just find the right fittings, length of hose, and zip ties. It's much easier to work with and you'll never have any problems with rust. I ended up doing this on my 97 GTP and was very easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nylon

What grade nylon tubing would you reccomend? (wall thickness, specific type of nylon) And can i find it at local hardware stores like you can find ice-maker kits? I have seen bad things happen where fuel lines for cutting torches were mixed (say...acetylene hoses on a propelyne rig) and it can result in the fuel deteriorating the lines inside out. I assume this is safe as most store bought fuel tanks are made of nylon.... Better yet, do you know of any specific aftermarket kits available?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I kept all the records from when I did that on my car....when I get a chance I'll dig up the receipt and see where it was ordered from and hopefully some better specs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts