3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 3800 sII sc from a 99 grand prix in a 87 Fiero GT 3.25 sc pully, all egr removed valve cover vented was told rebuilt 2000 miles ago. Have put 3 new seals and new harmonic balancer cleaned entire front of engine and painted lite gray also put dye in oil and can not get seal to stop leaking. Using royal purple synthetic oil. It is coming out of seal/balancer not out of cover to seal. If you have had any problems like this please respond!!!! Leaks at mid to higher rpm let run for 45 min with new seal and no leak till run up rpm,s.

·
Registered
849 Posts
A leak like that one is a bit uncommon (especially if yiu have a new balancer). My first thought would be do you have good crankcase ventalation (that would be venting on both valve covers). If so, I would begin to suspect you may have excessive "blow-by" causing internal crankcase pressure to be too high (this shows up at higher rpm by the way) blowing oil out where ever it can. A cylinder leak rate test will confirm this.

Good luck, Jake L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oil leak

the oil fill cap has been drilled and a vent installed. I put it back together with stock gm seal I noticed the gm seal has about 4 or 5 ridges on the sealing lip not just the one spot that contack's the hub. I also noticed that the front cover where the seal goes in has a oil run back hole going to the pan and I wonder if the seals are blocking that passage and building up oil behind the seal..... :icon_conf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil eaks

I just got back from running the car and the gm seal is dry as a bone. The gm seal is also half the price of felpro or national.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I just got back from running the car and the gm seal is dry as a bone. The gm seal is also half the price of felpro or national.
Most times the factory stuff works much better that aftermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GM 3800 Grand Prix GTP Front Oil Seal Timing Cover Crank Pulley Seal leaking oil

*Bringing post back up frm the dead*

What did you use to install the timing cover front oil seal?
I have the very similiar problem as this. Oil is dumping onto the crank pulley ( harmonic balancer ) and it is spining oil everywhere. I have replaced the oil seal twice and the issue remains. ( it is not ventilation issues, i leave the cap off while checking, already put tat in the equation from the gate). Now i just purchased a new harmonic balancer, and im isntalling it tommorrow with a new seal. Did you use anything special to instll the seal? Did you push the seal ALL the way in? was thinking maybe i was pushing it too far in and blocking that tank run off hole. i spotted that as well. or maybe i did not install it correctly, or hopefully the crank pulley was bad, rather than going with a race set, i got a new one. man this problem has been a nightmare and really having me aggrevated. Ive never had an issue such as this that i just could not tackle head on from the gate. all input would be greatly apprecaited!! thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the oil is dripping from the front side of the pulley it is probably leaking past the keyway slot on the balancer. If the oil is dripping from the back side of the balancer, then its probably the front seal. It could also be leaking at the base of the timing cover seal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3800 sII sc from a 99 grand prix in a 87 Fiero GT 3.25 sc pully, all egr removed valve cover vented was told rebuilt 2000 miles ago. Have put 3 new seals and new harmonic balancer cleaned entire front of engine and painted lite gray also put dye in oil and can not get seal to stop leaking. Using royal purple synthetic oil. It is coming out of seal/balancer not out of cover to seal. If you have had any problems like this please respond!!!! Leaks at mid to higher rpm let run for 45 min with new seal and no leak till run up rpm,s.
Just an FYI, GM uses the cheapest oil seals the factory makes. A real problem on all GM products.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts