3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and am looking forward to getting helpful advice from fellow 3800 owners. My first question is about Cold Air Intake. I was ready to purchase a cold air intake system and ask my neighbor who is a mechanic for a local GM dealership if it would be a good first upgrade. He stated that he might not do this as it might cause problems with the mass air sensor, has anyone had any problems after upgrading their intake system.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. Next read this: http://www.3800pro.com/forum/newbie-zone/39010-something-all-newbies-should-read.html

As for the intake it will be fine. That is the usual first mod for most people. Most of those dealor guys think you should leave a vehicle stock, "GM designed it like that for a reason......" You can make anything better.;)

He is right though, the mass air flow sensor will get a different reading. But it will not "cause problems." The more you get into modding, you will eventually have to get the PCM tuned, then it will fix all of those little "problems."

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Do the CAI. I have one and love it. The dealership tech is probably concerned about the compatability of "wet" filters and the MAF's function. Dropplets of oil from wet filters can dirty the MAF, causing it to malfunction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks For The Help

Thank you for the help so far. I was considering the Weapon R " Secret Weapon" intake system. Does anybody have any info on this brand of intake system.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
B4 u go blowin money on a intake. Search this forum for various diy cai builds and read up
diy is definatley a easy affordable route

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
B4 u go blowin money on a intake. Search this forum for various diy cai builds and read up
diy is definatley a easy affordable route
x2;)

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm new to this site and am looking forward to getting helpful advice from fellow 3800 owners. My first question is about Cold Air Intake. I was ready to purchase a cold air intake system and ask my neighbor who is a mechanic for a local GM dealership if it would be a good first upgrade. He stated that he might not do this as it might cause problems with the mass air sensor, has anyone had any problems after upgrading their intake system.
new spark plugs, fuel system flush(a real one), downpipe and intake.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
my friend has on of those weapon-r systems on his bonneville ssei, looks pretty cool i must say, but the piping is really tiny and would be a restriction for sure

1 - 8 of 8 Posts