3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!

I have removed my lower intake manifold in preparation to replace/upgrade to the aluminum gaskets. While cleaning the removed manifold I can hear something inside "rolling" the distance of the manifold from side to side when I tilt it. Any guesses as to what this might be? Nothing fell inside to my knowledge, but I am not the original owner, and don't know what has or has not been done to the car. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Greetings everyone!

I have removed my lower intake manifold in preparation to replace/upgrade to the aluminum gaskets. While cleaning the removed manifold I can hear something inside "rolling" the distance of the manifold from side to side when I tilt it. Any guesses as to what this might be? Nothing fell inside to my knowledge, but I am not the original owner, and don't know what has or has not been done to the car. Any help would be appreciated
That is too weird! I would highly suggest you find that LOOSE component before it finds it's way inside the engine...!! On another note, check the coolant passages also....could be something in there also. Mr goodwrench....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is too weird! I would highly suggest you find that LOOSE component before it finds it's way inside the engine...!! On another note, check the coolant passages also....could be something in there also. Mr goodwrench....
Thank you goodwrench. Well case solved...my best guess. A previous owner had installed the doorman help metal coolant elbows. and instead of removing the plastic elbows and confirming they had not left any of the plastic behind (as I understand they tend to break), pushed the metal elbow in, which then pushed the remaining plastic elbow piece into the coolant channel. (which is what I heard rattling around). Aren't previous owners fun!!? (I can't imagine a professional mechanic doing this, which is why I assume that) I was able to get it close to the end and pulled it through with a small set of needle nose.
Gesture Wood Finger Thumb Nail

·
Registered
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
19 Posts
Thank you goodwrench. Well case solved...my best guess. A previous owner had installed the doorman help metal coolant elbows. and instead of removing the plastic elbows and confirming they had not left any of the plastic behind (as I understand they tend to break), pushed the metal elbow in, which then pushed the remaining plastic elbow piece into the coolant channel. (which is what I heard rattling around). Aren't previous owners fun!!? (I can't imagine a professional mechanic doing this, which is why I assume that) I was able to get it close to the end and pulled it through with a small set of needle nose.
View attachment 11176
Haha thats actually crazy. Its not even close to a clean cut, how would they have missed that lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha thats actually crazy. Its not even close to a clean cut, how would they have missed that lol
If you think that is crazy then hold my beer! Because it was twins, that’s right. After pulling the first one, I still heard the rattling and thought..you have to be kidding me. Low and behold there was another! If anyone wants to Sherlock Holmes this one I am all ears. Proof below.
w

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
View attachment 11176
Good find......I just don't get why some will not remove the old coolant elbow......! IT'S NOT THAT HARD TO DO......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts